Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Krabi-Trang-Hatyai

I just returned on Sunday from a 5D/4N trip to Krabi-Trang-Hatyai. It was a trip organized by Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) and Tiger Airways. In the group of 13, two are reporters, one is an editor from a magazine, two are representatives from TAT and Tiger Airways, and the other eight are from travel agencies.

I made an effort to pen down my thoughts along the trip. It started very well for the first three days, until it was disrupted due to my splitting headache on the fourth day, and I could not find time on the last day because of the tight schedule.


Here are the excerpts.

12th July 12.19am (Alone in a resort room in Krabi, just before I go to bed):

It’s the first time I wheeled my luggage and took the MRT on my own to Changi Airport. The last time when I went to Jeju does not count as my family and boyfriend were there to send me off. This time round, I really felt like a grown up. And come to think of it, I quite enjoy the feeling of going on a short trip alone, once in a while.


The feeling of ultimate independence-taking care of myself, going sight-seeing wherever I choose to, buying what I take a fancy to… there are simply no restrictions. In a nutshell, I can do whatever I like!

I particularly like the feeling of pulling my luggage along (like what air stewardesses do), strolling in the airport, it's just so cool!

14th July 12.03 am (Again alone in the resort room in Krabi):

There was a blackout. I was watching tv and packing my luggage when suddenly everything just went pitch dark. Surprising, I was unusually calm. I groped my way to the key holder and checked that it was properly placed. Soon a light came on but the rest of the lights were still out of order. Just then, my colleague came to knock at my door and asked what happened. When I told her I think it was a blackout, she muttered “scared me” and went back to her room.

I then moved slowly to the phone and called the reception. I was told that there was a blackout throughout the resort. About a minute later, the lights came back.

You know what kind of weird ghostly thoughts can come to one’s mind when you stay alone in a hotel room, and what’s more with a blackout! But somehow, I was so composed that I was quite amazed with myself when I thought about it later.

Earlier, our group had dinner with some representatives from the resorts in Krabi. I spoke to a man from Netherlands who came to work in Krabi six months ago. Caucasians are simply so polite. They say “nice to meet you”, “it’s my pleasure”, “how are you feeling”, “I hope you are feeling better” etc with such charisma. It just made one feel so much at ease. I find that Asians are not so used to saying such things, they prefer to come straight to the point instead of making small talk. And although I can say those too, but it somehow feels odd, and too much of it also makes one feel hypocritical. Perhaps Caucasians are so used to saying these that it comes so naturally, and that makes those hearing it feel comfortable too.

Krabi reminds me very much of Vang Vieng in Laos, where people go there for adventure, for kayaking through caves and for rock climbing. Krabi really brought back the sweet memories I had of Vang Vieng, when I went there with my community service expedition team four years ago.

14th July 11.06pm (In Trang):


I think the rain followed us the whole day. When we were on the bus, the weather was good. The moment we stepped out, it started raining. When we went to the fossil shell beach, I had only time to snap two pictures before running back to the bus due to the heavy downpour. When we reached the hot spring, just minutes later, it started pouring. We could not enter the dragon cave because the water level was too high after the rain, and it made the cave too narrow to pass through.

I think the best part of the day is the short adventure at the hot spring. I was the first one to waddle full-body into the waterfall, and there were only two of us in the entire group who did that. Most did not want to get themselves wet, some only soaked their feet in.

I do not know if I could call myself the adventurous type, but I just felt that since I was there, I should make the best of the opportunity and enjoy myself to the fullest. I was glad I did!

By the way, I was so excited when I saw the Korean drama show Da Chang Jin being screened on tv here in Trang. I did not know the Korean wave swept all the way over to Thailand!

15th July (In Hatyai):

I had a bad headache and slept very early. One thing to mention, I watched a transvestites’ song and dance performance for the first time. Some of them are so beautiful that I can only marvel at the success of their operation. I even took a picture with the prettiest one!

16th July (In Hatyai):

For the whole day we were rushing here and there and I could find no time to write. In the morning, we rushed to finish up our sightseeing of temples and tourist spots in Hatyai. In the afternoon, we rushed to check-out from the hotel and do some last minute shopping. In the evening, we rushed to board the plane back to Singapore. I arrived in Singapore an hour past midnight. Home sweet home!


1 Comments:

At 11:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home