Friday, June 23, 2006

"Rain" In Novena MRT

It is not everyday that you step out of the MRT, and "plosh"! There you go, you step into puddles of water, your shoes become wet, and your feet is left dripping with water.

And up above, you see "raindrops" dripping down.

Rain inside the MRT station?

It is nothing usual to be caught in the rain, but in the MRT station? That was something unusual. And that was what happened while I was on my way to work today at about 7.45am.

I was taking the MRT to Braddell and standing by the door. When the train arrived at Novena, which was two stops away from my destination, I noticed that the floor outside was wet.

How peculiar! How could the MRT be flooded? I decided to step out and check it out.

The situation caught me by real surprise. The minute I stepped out onto the station platform, my poor heels and the bottom of pants were left dripping wet!

I saw some people roll up their pants, and some even took off their shoes and waddled barefooted (smart move)!

The funniest thing was that, the ceiling of the MRT was actually dripping with water. Sure looks like a rain sight!

Where the "rain" came from? Nobody had an idea, but automatically out came the umbrellas. It is actually quite amusing to see commuters opening up the umbrellas and carrying them inside the MRT station. Isn't the MRT station supposed to shield one from rain?

The MRT station masters also carried umbrellas and shielded commuters from the "rain" in the station.

This started at around 7am, and took place for close to 2 hours before the "rain" subsided.

According to SMRT, the source of the water seepage was a construction site nearby. The actual cause of the flooding is still under investigation.

As I was at the scene, I managed to do interviews and called a photographer to make his way down. By the time he reached, the "rain" had become "smaller". I was so annoyed with myself because I did not have a camera with me, although I did manage to take some pictures (the ones above) using my handphone. If I had brought along a camera, I would have been able to take higher resolution pictures at the time when the flooding was most serious, and that would have been a big bonus to the report.

Oh well, let this be my lesson.

9 Comments:

At 7:23 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:25 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Submitted your post to tomorrow.sg

 
At 9:17 AM , Blogger Chuang Shyue Chou said...

This is hilarious! I use the Novena station quite a bit and I haven't seen this yet.

 
At 1:14 PM , Blogger Dick Chan said...

the picture of the guy holding the 2 umbrellas is really comical :p

 
At 4:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi gal. I dunno you kept a blog till you were tomorrow-ed. You are usually so quiet..its easier to get to know u better through ur blog. ;)
By the way, its a great blog.. your english is as fluent as ur chinese! Looking forward to more entries..:)

 
At 10:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL...you are one of those lucky ones who were able to witness this rare experience. :)

 
At 2:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, erm, are u my fellow colleague whom i met at a baby event at elias today?

could not be sure from your profile pic. heh.

 
At 1:02 PM , Blogger yvonne said...

pl: yes, that's me. =)

 
At 2:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The rain in the Novena MRT was caused by a lightning god that struck some evil spirits around that area. Till now, the engineers still cannot understand why also.

I will keep in touch with you soon to tell you more about all these phenomena happening in Singapore.

Did you know that Tan Tock Seng Hospital ICU got blackout on 9 July 2006, Sunday about 4:50pm - 5:00pm

You ask yourself...How can ICU afford a blackout?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home