Friday, May 19, 2006

The Da Vinci Code Movie

*If you have read the book, you will not enjoy the movie.*

I am not a Christian and I have no knowledge about the background of Christianity. When I first read the book quite sometime ago, I could not really understand the history and the theories the book speaks of the religion. Nevertheless, once I got into the mood of unraveling the secrets and seeking the truth, the storyline started to get more interesting and excitng. Overall, I would say the book is a rather good read, although not an easy one if you really want to go into details.

I went to the cinema with the hope of getting myself all excited once again in the treasure hunt, but I came out feeling quite the opposite. There were a lot of links in the book that were taken out in the movie (I believe to save time), and the beauty of some of the cleverly crafted plots were missing as well. This made the entire hunt somewhat hollow. In the end, the movie does not reflect what the big deal is and the urgency for the lead roles to go on their hunt, which was a great pity, I felt.

*If you have not read the book, you will also not enjoy the movie.*

If you are thinking, "then perhaps it is better for me not to read the book and catch the movie first with an open mind", I think you could be wrong too.

Since I have read the book, I cannot speak objectively how one who has not read the book would find the movie. However, as there are quite a number of missing connections between different parts of the movie, I feel that it might be difficult for viewers to move with the flow of the story very well, much less to understand the plot fully.

As I walked out of the cinema feeling quite disappointed, I consoled myself that luckily I watched it in Johore Bahru for only 10 ringgit (approximately S$4.50), and not in Singapore for S$9.50!

Have you watched the movie? Do you share my sentiments?

4 Comments:

At 2:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeap I agree with you. was quite disappointed with the movie.. almost fell asleep halfway, maybe cos I watched it after work.

I told some friends the movie's not really worth watching.. but they said they'll watch it anyway cos of all the hype.. haha.. not worth paying the weekend price though!

-yz

 
At 8:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, i will not waste my time and money this way!

 
At 9:04 PM , Blogger Vincent said...

For myself, I have not read the book, so watching the movie is in itself quite fascinating. Not sure whether the plot in the book is the same as the movie, cos in summary, the ancient code essentially direct the girl sophia to the church. (Which along the way audiences will get to know about the big history behind it). Though I am not a christian, I am quite concern about the strong religious overtones that shake the core foundations of christianity. With 60% facts, 40% fiction, it will give the audiences a natural logical deduction that this show is based on the truth.

 
At 11:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home