Thursday, May 11, 2006

Exactly one month

It has been exactly one month since I last updated this blog.

Many thanks to those who came to check this website every now and then, and my sincere apologies for leaving you disappointed each time round.

The general elections has taken up most of my time (including personal and leisure time) in catching up on news, walkabouts and press conferences by various parties and candidates, and of course watching the rallies.

During the election, the media has been slammed in quite a number of blogs and websites for being biased in their reports. Some even blatantly labelled journalists as the most shameful profession as compared to loansharks, prostitutes and pimps. I am not the least offended. I know there is still a long way to go before the media here paints the ideal picture of a liberal and open society.


And you would be surprised to find out what most journalists on the ground feel.

For those involved who question the seemingly biased reports and who cannot be fully convinced by the reasons offered, how can they expect others to understand?

This is the first time I covered the election, the first time I went to watch rallies, and the first time I interviewed politicians, up close and personal.

It was quite an insightful experience, although not all of it was pleasant.


I feel tired of asking colleagues questions when I am given answers like, "You just do not understand", or simply giving a smirk and dismissing my questions.

Older folks tell me that I am still young, and I do not understand politics. I certainly don't.

And I sure hope I do soon.

9 Comments:

At 5:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which party and politician do you like most then? Eh, by the way, liking doesn't mean supporting, in case... just in case, someone out there is out to get you on your blog!

 
At 10:00 PM , Blogger dustbin said...

What will you be covering now that the elections are over? would you still be staying on at the political desk or going somewhere else liao?

 
At 10:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome back! I'm sure you would have by now hear and seen more than enough of the unspeakables... =P

 
At 8:39 AM , Blogger yvonne said...

anonymous: There isn't someone whom I like most, although I am quite impressed with the way some of them handle things...there is someone though, whom I rather pity...maybe I'll write about it next time and you can guess who. We'll see how. =)

dustbin: At the moment, I will still be at general desk, reporting on health and education issues etc.

ron: yes, I realise now why most young people are uninterested in politics, because there is a lack of understanding...but then again, some get put off too once they find out more...

 
At 5:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can only say that my journo friends are feeling jaded. i feel a sense of jadedness too. all the talk about a free and responsible media. sigh.

 
At 9:51 PM , Blogger yvonne said...

I heard the situation was worse during the last election. You might be surprised to hear that even some opposition leaders were taken aback (and of course pleased)by the extensive positive coverage this time round as compared to the last.

 
At 1:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

why not just vote in th WP and let them govern gfor 5 years then see how instead grumbling and grumbling about the same things every 5 years

 
At 8:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

 
At 11:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home