Thursday, March 02, 2006

A trip to Jeju

Last month, I went on my first visit to Jeju, Korea and this trip made me realize how language barriers can pose as a big problem.

Most Koreans in Jeju only speak their own language, and that makes communication a tedious task. To make things worse, many signboards (even in tourist spots!) were written only in Korean. I saw this Korean sign in front of a cave which I thought was the name of the cave. When I asked the Korean tour guide what it meant, her reply came as a shock. She said it wrote "Danger. Do not enter. "

Nevertheless, despite the problems in communication, Jeju is a beautiful and tranquil place which is good for relaxation.



It is also a good place to go to if you love Korean drama, especially "All In" and "Da Chang Jin". I went to the "All In House" which was converted from a church (where the fliming took place) to a museum attributed to the lead roles. Imagine the status Korean stars have in their country!

At the Dragon Head Rock beach, I saw the famous Jeju women divers in action! These women, mostly in their fifties, dive into the sea without any breathing apparatus to catch fishes, octopus and abalones etc. They then sell the seafood at the side of the beach where people eat them raw on the spot. Over there, a Korean man offered me a piece of seafood fresh from the sea, I politely declined, but he made sure I ate it before he left. I think it is common for Koreans to eat things raw, but I don't like raw food and it sure tasted yucky!

The food in Jeju is also pretty delicious, like bbq meat, mixed rice etc, just look at the spread! But it can get quite heaty, and as fruits are expensive, they are seldom seen on the dining table.

All in all, I would say Jeju is a nice place to consider for a short holiday. But if you are looking for a shopping getaway or fun nightlife, then Jeju is not the place for you, because activities in Jeju end pretty early at night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home