Saturday, February 18, 2006

"Don't quote me."

This is a line I hear almost everyday.

The second most common line is, "Don't take my picture."

Whenever I am out doing street interviews, people would often agree to say something, or anything at all, if and only if they are not named.

Whenever journalists carry out interviews, three particulars regarding the interviewee are extremely essential: name, age and occupation.

This is the way to show that our news report came from a legitimate source, i.e we did not imagine it or made it up.

I often meet people who gladly accepted the interview, and readily provided information they knew. But, at the end of the interview when I asked for their particulars, they would wave me away and move away as quickly as possible.

At times, this was my experience:

Me: Sir, can I have your name please?
Interviewee: Hmm...Tan.
Me: Eh, can I have your full name please? Tan...what?
Interviewee: Just put Mr Tan will do lah. Need to write till so clear meh? You ask so much for what? I am very busy now, that’s it okie?

This is why in most of my news articles, the people interviewed are quoted as Mr Lee, Mrs Tan, Miss Chan, Madam Tay etc etc etc. Sometimes, they are simply quoted as "a neighbour who declined to give her name" or "a resident who requested not to be named".

And the worst scenario takes place when the interviewee hears the “cha-kaa” clicking sound of the camera. Two things may happen then. One, he automatically shuts up and runs away as if he had just seen a ghost. Or two, he turns nasty and demands that his photograph be deleted.

It seemed that many people are afraid to be held responsible for their opinion or what they have said. And they are “scared out of their wits” if their faces (photographs) are associated with their comments.

But why? What is there to be afraid of, if you are giving your honest and harmless personal opinion? (Of course, I do not mean comments that may hurt people or cause unrest such as racist remarks etc.)

You might have seen some television news crew trying to find interviewees on the streets and people simply make detours or bend their heads low as they walk by. Some smile awkwardly and shake their heads to show that they do not want to appear on TV. Others run away long before the TV crew could get near them.


I can understand these reactions. It is almost the same as sitting in a lecture theatre and slumping as low as possible in your seat, hoping the lecturer will not call on you to answer questions. It's like being afraid to say something “stupid” and “silly” in front of everyone, a kind of "cowardly" behaviour which I have experienced before too.

Well, perhaps it is the Singapore context, where everything has to be kept in right order, and mistakes are often unforgivable, that created this “phenomenon” whereby no one wants to risk anything (even if it might be nothing) at all by giving their opinion.

But come to think of it, there is something seriously wrong somewhere, if we are afraid to be associated with what we think or what we have said.

If you have said something with a true heart and clear conscience, be proud of it.

5 Comments:

At 2:28 AM , Blogger kite said...

But then again, journalists are scary people because we, the normal man-in-the-street, usually don't know how to manage the media people.

I may share an observation, eg, Many PRCs don't queue up in Mac. This, most people who have been to China will know. But because the journ wants to angle the story to show this observation is from a young never-seen-the-world Singaporean, to whom this is a cultural shock, she puts my name, age and occupation. And company name.

It gives the report credit and meat and helps the journ spin a good story, from the angle she wants.

Does it help me? No. Not at all. I may have PRC friends who think I'm against them. I may be working for a PRC boss who hates me after he reads that. Chances are, people won't appreciate your comments, but you get all kinds of flake from those who disagree.

It is okay to disagree with my opinions. But many people don't know how to reason things out. You say something they don't like, they'll call you names like stupid or naive. Or say, you go to university you know everything meh? Or they tell you you talk too much. It takes a very warm passionate heart to endure many wet blankets, I'm not sure how many people are that passionate or strong-minded.

I don't know about ROTW, but in Sgp at least, it doesn't pay to speak up. Get all those shit, for F?!

(I've got an identity to each comment I leave on anyone's blog. But I don't often read responses because I don't need to be told I ought to shut up or I'm stupid. I already know)

:)

 
At 12:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeap I agree.. I often meet interviewees who will start complaining about the 1001 things they want me to write about. But when I ask for their names or for other means of identification, they immediately walk away... >< Why are so few people willing to accept responsibility for what they say?

yz

 
At 3:31 PM , Blogger Kevin said...

this i feel is a result of the general lack of privacy that sg journalism gives to readers.
also related are issues like legal protection for whistle blowers.

its a double edged sword. if journalists actively protect the identity of those who have a thing to say then i presume alot of invalid claims and accusations will arise.

but without protection of identity who will wish to step out and point out wrongdoings at their disadvantage?

case in point, I wrote to the st forum before on an issue about reclaimnation in southern islands affecting our marine natural diversity.
the next day, I got a cheery jib by my boss abt the letter. I guess if he wasn't as understanding he might even perceive that I am very free in my postgrad work to be composing letters abt marine life in sg.

its not easy to guess how the public will react to anything that's mass publicised ie. the cartoons outrage.
I am neutral to both sides. I acknowledge that its a sign of disrespect to another religion but the freedom of press is impt as well.
Ahem on a less serious tone as Spiderman said.:' With great power comes great responsibility"

 
At 1:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are looking at it from only one angle.

1. There are also people who are willing to be identify, maybe not many. You see some are not even afraid to show their faces on tv.

2. Some people, maybe more than we realise, are really shy (myself included) and not that 'they are afraid to be held resposible'. The same reason why some people donate large amount anonymously.

3. (I don't know if your interviews are instant or you give them advance notice.) They don't have enough time to think of their response and when later they think over it, the it may sound silly. You, for example, will go through your article several times before sending it for printing or for the editor to check.

4. Sometimes what we say contradicts what we do and we don't want our friends to know.

5. Other reasons we do not know.

 
At 9:26 AM , Blogger fr said...

"mistakes are often unforgivable"
"no one wants to risk anything"
"afraid to be associated with what we think or what we have said."

These are over generalization.

I don't believe our Country or our People are like these.

I feel that people write about these and others read them and these myths get perpetuated.

In your previous posting, several who commented quoted "beyond reasonable doubt". I wonder if they know where the doubt is or if they have read through all the evidence.

Or how many of us really know what "
beyond reasonable doubt" means. Have we ponder why the other two judges did not think so.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home