Saturday, December 03, 2005

Driving Test

I had my Class 3A driving test (as a private candidate) yesterday at the Bukit Batok Driving Centre (BBDC).

It was my first attempt and I started to get nervous when I was in the waiting room. About 10 others were having the test at the same time as I was. A tester drew lots for our testing routes and testers. We then studied the route on the maps that was pasted on the walls. The atmosphere was tensed!

I might have practised my testing route before during my lessons, but I could recognized nor could not recall when I saw it on the map. I started feeling panicky when one by one, we were called to go down to the circuit route to start on the test.

My tester was a middle-aged man who looks rather strict and stern. After he got into the car, he said plainly, “You may start when you are ready.” I took a deep breath and off I went!

Everything seemed to be going fine until he said, “Turn right and go up the ramp.” My mind must have been a blank, because it only registered the words “go up”, and so I turned right, and went up the……slope!

I realized my mistake only when I was halfway up the slope. “I am sorry, I made a mistake!” I was flustered. He replied straightforwardly, “Okie, if you want to do the slope, go ahead. Had you turned into the other lane (where cars move down the slope), I would have failed you immediately.”

My heart jumped a beat. I could not tell if he was mad or if my mistake was not too disastrous, but I kept my composure, and thank goodness, the rest of the circuit was a bliss.

As we went out to the roads, he said, “Turn right”. I must have been too jumpy, because when he said that, I actually signaled “left”! Not realizing my mistake, I was about to go left when the tester repeated “right”. I then quickly uttered, “Sorry” and changed my signal. Whew!

My test route seemed rather short, because in a while I was back at BBDC. Time to hear my “verdict”!

The tester brought me back to the waiting room. He pointed out my mistake of turning up the slope when he mentioned the ramp. He said I was not decisive when I changed lane and he gave me 4 demerit points for changing lanes too abruptly. I wanted to argue that I did not change lanes “decisively” as I was nearing bends and it was not appropriate to do so, but I kept quiet for fear that I would incur more demerit points for that.

He mentioned some other mistakes: I was too slow in making turns that resulted in certain cars having to slow down. And he gave me 8 demerit points for that.

With my heart thumping, I clasped my hands together and waited.

The moment has come.

My tester signed the assessment form and said plainly, “You passed.”

I made it! It was such a nerve-wrecking experience, and I am so glad I made it through!

After five months learning on “L” plate behind the wheel, I am now a qualified driver (on probation, that is)!

12 Comments:

At 1:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats! stay safe on the roads yea... 马路如虎口

 
At 6:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG... U ARE GD!!
passed it on the 1st attempt...

maybe they more lenient on girls ba... becoz guys tend to be more reckless... (ermmm... example... ermmm.... my "neighbour"... :P)

ok lah.. maybe u really very good..
wahahaha

 
At 9:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! haha so when are you getting your first car?

 
At 11:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats!! =)

 
At 12:53 PM , Blogger Nia said...

Wah Best! Took me 3 times!! Congrats!! So can we expect a lift home on our next outing!?!? Haa. I'm willing to put my life at stake! Hee.

 
At 10:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi...Jo here...dropping by...ya, u know me...

not bad that u took 5 mths to learn....i took 6 or more....cannot remember....lah....It was a few years ago.

 
At 12:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

>We then studied the route on the maps that was pasted on the walls

hmm...studied the route on the wall...so interesting and eye-opening. Sounded as if you have to memorise the route.

My experience is different cos I took the driving test in Australia. Ya, I studied in Australia. I was simply assigned an assessor without studying the route on the wall (which is amusing.)

 
At 12:09 AM , Blogger Kevin said...

wah lau...
i really think examiners go easier on girls..
for my attempt that passed I was supposed to do a left turn to do the dreaded U turn .. but it was a busy time and more cars than usual.. so i stopped to wait.. UNTIL my examiner got impatient and asked me to go straight.. later he blasted me for lack of experience and practice on the road.. WHEN I was trying to be safe on the roads!!?? instead of dangerously cutting into another car's path.... and the stupid thing? i already had my bike licence already.. anyway i gave him my I am in NS that's why I have little practice story... and got my licence and got off :P
figured wat matters is that i get the licence.. lotsa crazy drivers on the road that dun deserve a licence anyway no reason i shld be denied LOL... anyway congrats..
erm... hmmm
paiseh huh.. 3A is wat?
manual or auto? haha
uncle take that time only one version

 
At 12:20 PM , Blogger yvonne said...

jo: there are standard test routes, I think about 10 of them, so lots were drawn and we were given one particular test route...we can then check the routes, example take note of where to U turn etc...so it will kinda help...=)

 
At 12:23 PM , Blogger yvonne said...

haha...examiners go easier on girls? I don't think so...and I realised it is a mis-conception that girls have to wear short skirts and doll up themselves to increase their chance of passing the driving test...I just wore a blouse and jeans and the other girls who took the test also dressed like that...NO ONE wore mini short skirts...haha...

 
At 8:27 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thursday is mine... Guys pray for me

 
At 8:27 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thursday is mine... Guys pray for me

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home