Thursday, October 27, 2005

Dear Harry, Hermione and Ron

This is specially dedicated to all those who has a child in you, who wants to unleash the fantasy in you, and who enjoys the Harry Potter series. I recently saw a book titled “Kids’ Letters to Harry Potter”, now you know, not only kids write letters to Harry. *wink*

*Warning: Contains Spoilers*

Dear Harry, Hermione and Ron,

I am a Muggle who had just finished reading “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” a few days ago. I was overwhelmed by questions when I finished. How could Professor Dumbledore have died? It is just impossible! Who will head the Order of the Phoenix from now on? I still cannot believe that Dumbledore placed so much trust on Snape who turned out to be a traitor all along! Will Hogwarts be closed down? What plans do the three of you have to take on You-Know-Who in future? Will Harry and Ginny really break up because he has to go in search of You-Know-Who and has to sever ties with people he loves?

Harry, I only started reading about your adventures a few months ago. I used to think that your adventure tales are only meant for the kids, and I, who do not particularly enjoy fantasy tales, was quite skeptical about your adventures. However, I can now finally understand how you are like a whirlwind that took the world be storm. I believe that anyone, be it a child or a grown-up, who has a tiny little bit of childhood fantasy in them, would want to join you at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, play Quidditch, or say the password to the Fat Lady and climb into the Gryffindor common room.

Hermione, how did you ever manage to memorize all those information in the textbooks? I am impressed! I really love the way you made hats for the house-elves and hope that one day they could stand up for themselves, be liberated and gain freedom, just like Dobby! I doubt this dream of yours could be fulfilled in the near future, but nevertheless, it was a good attempt and I applause you for it. I hope Harry and Ron could show more support for you though.

And Ron, I sure hope you and Hermione could end up together! Stop being so indecisive and have more confidence in yourself, be it to tell Hermione your true feelings or to play Keeper for the Gryffindor Quidditch team. Do not be scared off by the Slytherins just because of the stupid song “Weasley is our King”!

To me, one main reason why the Harry Potter series have been very captivating is because Harry is not one without flaws. He is not the best in his school work (he only excels in Defence Against the Dark Arts, and receives “Poor” in Divination and “Dreadful” in History of Magic in the O.W.L (Ordinary Wizarding Level) results) , nor does he remember all spells. Friendship has played an important part in his life. Without Hermione and Ron who were always loyally by him, he would not have been able to defeat Voldemort, I mean You-Know-Who, time and again. Because he is not perfect, he seems just like someone, anyone, around us, not one who is high and above, and who does not exist. He often got angry with Professor Snape and Draco Malfoy who were always trying to annoy him. He got so worked up in his attempt to save his godfather Sirius Black, that he lost his senses and even ignored Hermione’s warnings, so much so that Sirius ended up dead. He and Ron were often scolded in class, especially Potions class, and there were also times when he fell out with Ron and Hermione, just like any friends in school do.

When Harry, Hermione and Ron set up the DA (Dumbledore’s Army), I was so glad to see that Neville Longbottom had joined in, and even managed to learn the spells fast. There was this particular spell whereby Hermione was the only one who could master it faster than he does. For someone who does not have the intelligence and the talent in wizardry, it was amazing that he could rise up to the occasion and display his worth in the face of his parents’ enemy You-Know-Who and the Death Eaters, who caused them to become insane and to live in the St Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries .

It took me quite a while to appreciate the Prophecy, and till now I still do not yet fully understand it. The Prophecy was just a prophecy, as Dumbledore puts it, but it was You-Know-Who who turned it to be true. He killed Harry’s parents and chose him to be his equal, and which was also how he created his own fate. Harry’s task is now to kill You-Know-Who and rid the world of an evil, not because the prophecy said so, but because he had to.

It sounds quite stressful and dangerous to live in the world of wizards and witches. Anyone could jinx or hex anyone one else with just a wave of the wand. But still, I really wish I could have a taste of Butterbeer, enter the Room of Requirement, join the DA, attempt to catch the snitch in a Quidditch game, try apparating, have a wand and shout “Expecto Patronus!” when I meet the Dementors, hide under the Invisibility Cloak to visit Hagrid and Fang, read the Daily Prophet, look at pictures and watch the characters move in them, attend the Feast at Hogwarts, put on the Sorting Hat, look at memories in the Pensieve, make a trip to Fred and George’s Joke Shop, see how useless the Ministry of Magic is…
I wish I could send you this letter by an owl, but I have not got one and I reckon in troubled times like this, Hedwig would not be free for the delivery.

I heard that the next book will only be out in a year’s time (groan). Till then, I hope the three of you stay safe.

P.S. I think the three of you should learn the Avada Kedavra curse, for protection, just in case.

From,
Your Muggle Friend

5 Comments:

At 9:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah!!! von, u should have put a spoiler notice! hmph. bad ger..

 
At 10:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha very interesting! love this entry, keep it coming girl!

oh ya, and globlet of fire is screening soon... Looking forward to it! =P

haha chiu is right though, you should have put up a spoiler notice for those who haven't read the latest episode!

 
At 8:11 AM , Blogger yvonne said...

hahaha...sorry sorry, in my excitement, I forgot! oppz! =P

 
At 9:53 PM , Blogger Nia said...

Argh! I didn't expect your spoiler notice to mean that you would reveal who died in the book! Argh! I haven't read it yet! Sucks.. now all the anticipation and excitement is gone! Damn! Think you need to be more explicit in your spoiler notice. Yvonne!!!

 
At 9:55 PM , Blogger Nia said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home