Thursday, October 13, 2005

Who foots the bill? (Part 1)

A guy asks a girl out on their first date. Who foots, or who should foot the bill at the end of the meal?

From the guys:

Guy A: Of course I do! I am a man! She’s the girl of my dreams, and it is an important day: our first date!

Guy B: I think we should go Dutch. After all, I am not sure if she is the one for me, I asked her out just to see whether things might work out. If we pay for our own meals, she would not get the wrong idea.

From the girls:

Girl A: Of course he should! He asked me out for dinner. He must have a liking for me, this is the time for him to show his generosity. After all, shouldn’t all guys be gentlemen enough to foot the bill?

Girl B: I will pay for my own. I have the money, why should I let him pay? I do not want him to think that I am free loading on him. Moreover, this is just a casual meal; I do not want to be “indebted” to him just because he paid for my share.

Now, it looks like it is not such an easy decision to make after all. So who should pay the bill?

Most people would agree that first dates are important. For some couples, that marks their starting point in a relationship. For others who had a lousy first date, that is the first and probably the last time the two would sit down together for a meal.

In my opinion, for first dates, it would be nice and gentlemanly for the guys to pick up the tag, or at the very least, offer to pay for the meal. Although some girls might have the “men and women are equal” mentality, they like to be independent, and they might not like to have guys paying for their share, nevertheless, it feels good to dine with a gentleman.

On the other hand, girls should not take it for granted that guys should pay the tag. In no way should the girl insist that the guy gives the treat. However, if the guy offers to pay, do not be adamant in your way and insist in paying for yourself, lest making things end in discomfort. Let the guy play the gentlemen, and if you feel bad, offer to treat him to dessert or a drink after that.

For guys who are worried about burning a hole through your pocket when you pay for double, my advice is, pick a place within your budget. There is no point in going to an expensive restaurant and ending up in embarrassment when you do not have enough money to foot the bill.

That much said about first dates, what about for further dates or for couples in steady relationships?
It would not be fair for guys to be always on the paying end. There is nothing for guys to feel embarassed about, in enjoying a lady’s treat, and I think most girls would not mind footing the bill too, so why not go Dutch at some times, and give each other treats at other times?


What about for casual friends on casual occasions?

There's no argument: Go Dutch!

1 Comments:

At 2:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

how abt setting aside a common fund for makan or any outings?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home