Friday, September 02, 2005

The Aunties "Fight Back"

"Who says only young teenage boys and girls have idols? I have an idol too. He is Kelvin Chen Weilian, well known as the “blind hero” in the Project Superstar contest.

I do not have the time to queue up and buy his CD single right after it was released because I had to work during the day. I bought it only a few days later.
I could not afford the time to crowd with the youngsters and queue up hours for him to sign on the CD cover, because I have to rush home to cook for my children.
I did not turn up at the indoor stadium to watch his live performance because people of my age do not join fan clubs and I do not have the means to go on the internet to get a ticket.

But, I watched him sing on television, and most importantly, I have the money to vote for him.

I could not recall the number of times I called 1900-112-1001 last night to support him, but I will not be worried when the phone bill comes in. All because I have watched him sing while he was on the streets before. His voice was simply mesmerizing. I could stand there the whole day if I did not have to rush off to send goods.

When I saw that the judges gave him lower scores than his opponent during the competition, I called his hotline even more frantically.

It is not easy for someone with a disability to fight for his dream.

And for that, I will support him.

When he cuts an album next time, I will buy it. And I will ask my friends to buy it too. They heard him before when he sang on the streets.

I may not be able to scream and cheer for him if he holds a concert next time, but if I have the time, I will surely fork out the money to watch him. Money is not an issue to me.

Congratutions, Weilian, for becoming our first Superstar. I hope you will return to the streets one day and bring us lovely songs once again."


In the words of an Auntie who supports Kelvin.

__________________________________________________________

It was amazing that Kelvin won the Project Superstar grand finals, despite the average performance and the judges' negative comments. It just goes to show that in such a competition where the votes of the audience determine the outcome, the people's voices, some silent, others out loud, cannot and should not be ignored.

Kelvin has won Singaporeans' hearts, especially the uncles and aunties. And they have chosen their winner.

One sentence to sum up the Project Superstar grand finals:
The invisible supporters have won the day.

3 Comments:

At 10:06 PM , Blogger Ellipsis said...

i happened to watch project superstar last night and did realise he was not as stellar as the female contestant. was it nervouness? Hmm. or was he like that all the way through the Finals?

but from a TV viewer's point of view, i can see why the aunties would want to vote for him - the poor guy, getting shot down time after time and yet maintaining the painful smile each time someone barks out of his earpiece: "Smile now!" when the cameras are onto his face.

I'm reading one of those personality-types books now; sums up perfectly the way some of us make decisions. The Sensing-types would have gone for Kelly, while the Feeling-types would have gone for Kelvin anytime.

 
At 11:14 PM , Blogger yvonne said...

What is the distinction between these two types? I mean the way they view and choose something over another?

 
At 1:57 PM , Blogger Ellipsis said...

well, it's more multi-dimensional than just viewing situations and making choices, actually. if you'd like to know more here's a site you could visit: Link. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home