Saturday, August 20, 2005

Reading Harry Potter for the first time

I am not a fan of fantasy tales, and I do not really like to watch fantasy movies.

So, it is a wonder that I picked up “Harry Potter and the Pilosopher’s Stone” by J.K. Rowling. My first Harry Potter book.

One reason why I do not like fantasy stories is because I find that some parts of the story are too unreal (that’s why they are called fantasy stories, aren’t they?). Perhaps I am used to dealing with logic. Everything happens and should happen for a reason. So when things become too ridiculous in such movies, I am unable to relate to them.

Another reason is because I can never seem to remember most parts in the fantasy movies. If it was a “normal” movie, I can remember most of the storyline, the scenes, the characters and even some of the dialogue after some time. But ask me about a fantasy movie a week after I watched it? I might not even remember the name of the lead.

However, I watched all the Harry Potter movies, simply because there was the craze (and I followed the crowd), and because critics say they are good mega movies (I wanted to be entertained and to make my money worth).

As I was reading the Harry Potter book, I picture in my mind: Harry Potter, his glasses, his scar, his friends Ron and Hermione, Hogwarts, Quidditch…… I must say having watched the movie helps. The story settles into place with more ease.

I always say that fantasy stories like Harry Potter, are movies that I will only watch once. Perhaps I am unable to appreciate the essence of these movies, but I feel that besides the magnificent architecture and beautiful scenery, such stories lack in meaning. The recent movie “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” is another such example. A big disappointment and failure I would say, not to mention that the movie does not have grand buildings, breath-taking scenery or excellent casts to boast of.

While I was reading the Harry Potter book, something came to mind: This seems so much like a children’s book, why did it capture so many people’s attention (including adults), all over the world? Perhaps I need to finish the book, read the second, third, fourth…books before I am able to fully grasp the true meaning (if any) of the story and the message behind it.

I am about half way through the book, let’s hope I survive till the end!

3 Comments:

At 11:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

sometimes it's not the meaning behind the book tt attracts mi (i'm too lazy to think too much anyway) as much as the escape from reality tt fantasy books provide. u can "experience" things which would never happen in real life. it's jus fun to picture something new, something which i'll never have tot of as possible.
meaning wise, yes, i agree HP is a bit lacking, but afterall, it's children's fiction. however, i think there are certain moments which are touching.
anyway, i prefer LOTR, heh.

 
At 7:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished the latest sequel "Harry and the Half-Blood Prince"! Haha you go to buck up! =P

 
At 9:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantasy is quite a large genre... the sorts you see the most are generally not going to be the best examples of fantastic writing.

To me I think the cornerstone of fantasy is in how it allows the author to give an abstract concept a physical representation. Like fairy tales, myths and legends, all these often feature certain characters embodying a particular idea.

Of course you can very well do this in fiction that does not make use of fantastic elements, but the nature of fantasy is that you can really bring out the attributes of the concept very well.

Fantasy in its modern incarnation is really quite related to the myths and legends of old... in many ways it can serve the same purpose and fill the same niche. Just like how you would enjoy reading a book of chinese folk tales, you would too similarly enjoy a fantastic tale.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home