Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Why Durai wanted first class? Now I know!

I went on a short getaway trip to Bangkok last weekend. On my return trip from Bangkok, I was given a business class ticket.

“Business class?” I asked the counter staff at the Bangkok airport. My air ticket had already been paid for. It was for economy class.
“Yes.” He replied plainly.
I did not enquire further. I thought perhaps the flight was full and the business class (BC) seats were not occupied, so I was given a seat there. I did not feel exceptionally overjoyed, perhaps just a little happy because I was offered a seat more lavish than what I had paid for.

At that time, I did not know what I was in for.

In all the previous flights I had taken, I was always on economy class (EC). I thought there was no need to be extravagant on a flight trip, especially since it was a short flight. Spend a few hundred dollars more just for a 2 hour trip? No way.

“I will probably sleep through the flight, so what’s the difference if it was first class, business class or economy class?”

It was only after I got on the plane that I realized the difference.

Business class is so luxurious! I felt like a princess on board.

When I boarded the plane and settled down in my seat, a pretty, smiling air stewardess came up and offered me a drink. A cooling drink! Just what I needed then. In EC, the air stewardesses would usually be busy ushering passengers, and if you want a drink, you would probably have to wait meals are served. Furthermore, the economy class air stewardesses do not seem to like to smile much. I wonder why? Could it be the business class air stewardesses are higher ranked? Perhaps.

And the BC seats are so comfy! In EC, there is hardly room for you to stretch your feet. And somehow, passengers who sit in front of me always like to move their seats all the way down, such that I can hardly squirm in my seat. Perhaps it is just my bad luck. But in BC, there are no such worries! I can stretch my feet all the way to the front and yet still miss the seat in front by a shoulder’s length (Don't say I have short legs!).

Next comes the food. When it was about time to serve lunch, the pretty air stewardess came by to pass me a menu so I can check out what was in store for me. In EC, the air stewardesses will push the food cart around while serving food. If you want to find out what is on the menu that day beforehand, you have to stretch your ears up in the air and try to decipher whether she said it is “chicken with rice” or “fish with noodles” etc, or point your nose up in the air to sniff for clues. In EC, there is only one main course with a bun and desserts either fruits or cake, and drinks like coffee, tea and juices to choose from. Here’s the menu I had for BC: appetizer as smoked salmon with mixed vegetables, assorted bread, chicken spaghetti, peach tart, chocolate and tea. What a wide spread!

I usually cannot stand airplane food. I find that they have a “plastic” kind of taste, and I seldom touch the main dish, because I have had the experience of falling sick after consuming the food. This time round, I managed to finish the appetizer! It was an achievement for me! Although I did not touch the BC main dish as well, I managed to eat the rest. That was no mean feat for me.

In previous occasions, I usually slept through most of the journey on board a plane. Now I knew the reason. It was not because I was tired, but because there was nothing for me to do except to stare at the ceiling and the floor on the plane (not that that is anything interesting). When I was on BC, I had no time to fall asleep! I was wide awake watching shows on the monitor screen in front of my seat. I watched “Mr Bean” and a Taiwan concert with Jay Chou. The flight came to an end before I finished watching the concert. What a pity! I usually feel a little unwell after a plane trip, but this time round, I was fine and I even wish the journey could have been longer!

After my first experience on business class, I finally understood why Mr Durai wanted his (infamous) first class flight, and even committed the outrageous folly of switching his business class for first class. If business class could be so enjoyable, first class must be a lot better.


Well, I still think that it is not necessary to spend too much money on a plane flight. Economy class is perfectly fine. But after this business class experience, I wish that for my future flight trips, the plane could run out of economy class seats again!

7 Comments:

At 11:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehehe... if you have to complain about the economy class seats being small, think about me! flying is a very claustrophobic experience, especially long flights... *shudder*

anyway i took an SQ flight back to Singapore this time round and in economy class they actually have menus of the meals that will be served. and the stewardess will give you a hot steaming towel a few minutes after you get seated. so it depends on the airline too i guess...

 
At 10:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

wah.. from ur title i thought u are going to say something like the economy class or BC in that plane u flew was in horrendous condition so they give u BC.. haha.. but i was wrong.

I had experience with long flights too and i agree with u.. but then, i thought the seats would be just the right size for u.. enough for u to stretch ur legs at least...haha.. as compared to destrius. hmmmmmm...

 
At 4:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

u r so heng1...*pray that this time round i can get a bc seat*, 13 h of pure enjoyment..*pray hard*

 
At 9:58 PM , Blogger yvonne said...

destrius: SQ gives menus for the food that will be served? Cool! But then again, it is SQ we are talking about, for the price you pay for, of course the flight service has to be different as compared to other EC on other planes...

cannon: I really feel that there isn't enough space for my legs to stretch, must be because I have grown taller, yippee! haha!

lj: haha, maybe you could try checking in late, perhaps then the economy seats would have run out, and you would have a BC! =P Good luck!

 
At 10:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

yup... definitely SQ is different from the rest, that's why its so ex. if you know where to look can get some pretty good deals for it tho.

anyway i really wish i'd get a chance to sit business class because they ran out of seats or something... but i've been flying all over the place these two years and hasn't happened yet leh. guess i have no luck. :P

 
At 6:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

so lucky!!! i can't afford BC and FC tix. and i usually select my seats beforehand so that i don't get lousy seats at EC.

if only i can travel by BC for work. but then again, i'm 小职员, and i don't get to travel for work. :(

 
At 12:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree! you are indeed very lucky! *envy*

Actually I didn't know that a person can be assigned BC seat when he or she has only paid for the EC one. All along I thought that when we book for EC tickets, the airline will check the availabiliy of the EC seats before confirming the sales... haha I seldom get the chance to fly lah...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home