Sunday, June 19, 2005

What happened to Father's Day?

Today is Father’s Day. Have you forgotten about it?

Not surprising though, considering the fact that Father's Day usually came and went by without many people noticing it.

What a stake difference it was when Mother's Day approached about a month ago.
Days and even weeks before Mother's Day arrived, the red carpet was already spread far and wide. We see advertisements on the papers on Mother’s Day special meals, most beautiful mother contests, greatest mother contests, gift and beauty discounts for mothers, bakeries selling those cute cakes with a mother’s face on it......

When it was Father's Day's turn, many people were caught by surprise.

"This Sunday is Father's Day? Oh, I didn’t know that."

It seems like the society is so biased, (and for once) biased against the men.

From young, we learn songs that sing praises for our mothers, but I can hardly recall any that is dedicated to fathers.

Fathers may be so busy with their work that they hardly asked how their children are doing in school or with work. For some fathers, they hardly have the time and energy to engage in even small talk with their children after a busy day of work. When they reach home, they just want to catch a rest and have a quiet moment to read the newspapers or watch the television.

Some fathers may not even know what the children are studying, what ECAs they are involved in school, who their best friends are, what their favourite food is, who their idols are, what their hobbies are etc.

Because most mothers are home makers (especially when their children are still young), many children "see" their mothers at work (at home) and realized how hard they work to manage a household. As a result, most people feel that mothers are very noble and feel more attached to them. On the other hand, most people do not know what exactly their fathers do at work, and usually men prefer keep their emotions to themselves.

Well, that does not make fathers less "noble" than mothers.
Young people (myself included) often like to say that, "My father don't understand me."

But did we try to let our fathers understand us, or did we try to understand our father? (The same goes for our mothers too.)

I am lucky that my father is a forthcoming and chatty man. That makes it so much easier to talk to him.

Although most people like to say that as long as you care for your father (mother), everyday is Father's (Mother's) Day. No doubt that is true, but I still think that this is a special day. Some people do not like to celebrate for no reason, and this day gives us the perfect reason to throw a party for the fathers.

We should still care and show concern for our fathers everyday, but on this special day, make the fathers feel like a king, for not just any reason, but because they are fathers. What better gifts can there be?

Happy Father’s Day.

6 Comments:

At 3:20 PM , Blogger Miklos said...

Thanks for the interesting insights you have.

You have a great blog!

 
At 10:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did I did~~

I remembered its Father's Day. We had our usual family dinner out.. But admittedly.. its scaled down as compared to Mother's Day. Heez, We went to Crystal Jade for dinner for Mummmy dearest. But we went to have steamboat for Daddy.

Why e difference? Actually.. what matters most is that the family get to spend some quality time together, saying thank yous to our beloved parents.

Neway.. its yummy food all e same. with company who are closed to heart. =)

aggie =)

 
At 1:14 PM , Blogger yvonne said...

hi Miklos, thanks for stopping by! =)

 
At 1:20 PM , Blogger yvonne said...

heh...sometimes we cannot really compare the price of the feast or the restaurant...although it does make a difference to some people...
My family had homecooked food yesterday for Father's Day, all of my mother's usual specialities. (nice!) For Mother's Day, we packed a lot of takeaway goodies home...(also nice!) Any unfairness involved? haha...

 
At 12:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once, I was out with my dad, and we met his friend on the streets. They chatted and then:

Friend: "Your son ah? So big liao, where is he studying?"

Dad: "Oh, yah, my youngest son! NTU lor..."

Wow, I was glad that my dad didn't get it wrong! (He had 33% chance of getting it right anyway!)

Then he continued...

Dad: "NTU, studying... ... .. Computer ... ... Right?" (turning to me)

Me: "Yah, hee..." (sheepish smile)

Haa, the inconfidence gave my dad away, but he's a father that doesn't focus on my studies, giving me the freedom that I appreciate.

Looking forward to my family's Father's Day this Saturday [delayed a week], and nothing beats my mum and dad'd cooking. Home-cooked food, here I come!

 
At 12:55 AM , Blogger Robin said...

I couldn't agree more. My boyfriend hasn't been able to see his daughter for father's day for the past 3 years because his ex chooses to make it that way. He also has only seen his daughter 2x since August. It's appalling how fathers are treated...just plain wrong.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home