Monday, May 30, 2005

Time for a haircut

My hair was getting slightly long and untidy, and on Sunday morning I reckoned it is time for a haircut.

Sometimes, I really envy girls with long hair. With short hair like mine, what I can do to change my hairdo is to cut my hair shorter, and then it will lead to a longer wait for the hair to grow long and restyle it. There seems to be so much more you can do to style long hair. Perm, curl, straighten, rebond…...

It seems like it is a “girl-thing” to change hairstyle regularly. Apparently, a lot of girls do that to get a new look after having the same hairstyle for some time.

When girls get stressed up by school or work, it is time to change the hairstyle for a change of luck. When a relationship ends, the time has come for girls to cut their hair and have a clean break. When girls feel that things are too stagnant in life, it is time to visit the salon to change the hairdo and make themselves look different. When things are getting out of control, girls can go for a haircut and it makes them feel that despite everything else, they are still able to make decisions and hold on to the reins of their life.

Obviously changing one’s hairstyle will not have much influence on how things are going. But, it makes one look different, and most importantly, it makes one FEEL different. I think that is the biggest reason why a lot of girls like to pop down to the salon. If you go to the salon feeling lethargic and looking listless, after getting a haircut and you look into the mirror: “Wow, who is this energetic, pretty girl?” All at once, you will feel rejuvenated.

Of course, there are other ways to change one’s appearance, but what painless, faster and cheaper antidote is there to turn the world right-side-up, than getting a haircut?

No matter why a girl goes to the salon, guys out there, listen up. Never tell a girl that her new hairdo looks awful, especially if it really looks horrid. Do you know how much it hurts? This is the time when girls would appreciate a white lie.

How would you feel if you have stepped into a salon, full of hope for a good change, and your hairstyle looks worse than before? And worse off, some insensitive guy has to sprinkle salt on your wound by rubbing it in. I had that experience before, and had it not been for my last stroke of sanity, I would have given that sarcastic guy a good dressing down.

I always feel that going for a haircut is like taking a risk. You are kept in suspense because you do not really know how the “end product” looks like, until you reach the end of it. Perhaps that is what is good about having a haircut. You just sit and wait for the “unknown” to be revealed, and not much thinking is involved. At the end of it, you can give a big cheer if you look better than before. If it is worse, you sulk a bit and console yourself that your hair will grow long soon anyway.

Girls have the privilege to play with the kind of hairstyles they want. This somehow makes life a little more interesting. Sorry guys, I think most of you are missing out on the fun part here.

I have had my haircut, is it time for yours?

7 Comments:

At 5:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha, so funny...
so no need to see, i guess your new hairstyle must be fan-tas-tic rite? =p important lesson learnt, thanks!

eh, guys can play with stubs, goatee, crew cut, skinhead, n long hair too, afro even...hah!

 
At 9:03 AM , Blogger yvonne said...

haha...this time round, I did not "play" so much, so yeah, I still look the same! *sobz*! ha! =P

 
At 6:39 PM , Blogger piglet said...

haiz pigsy said my hair looks like a mop now..arghh..so the 1st thing i would do after i get better is to step out to get a decent haircut!

 
At 12:34 AM , Blogger jv said...

Well, even though guys don't get to have as much a variety in hair styling, sometimes its a good thing! I always hear my female friends with long hair complaining that its hot! Heh... thats one good thing about guys and short hair. We're cool! Literally and otherwise! =)

Oh yar, I had my hair cut today so I'm cool too =P

 
At 12:58 AM , Blogger yvonne said...

piglet: haha...tell pigsy his hair looks like an overturned broom! haha!...hmm, that sounds evil, I shall go mian4 bi4 si1 guo4! ha! =P

jv: haha..that's a cool one!

 
At 7:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh ya... I think girls with long hair look prettier than girls who trim their hair short. Erm.... Oopz! Did I just say something wrong?

Haha just teasing you! =P

 
At 10:42 AM , Blogger yvonne said...

haha, who says only girls with long hair look good? Just look at Stephanie Sun, Gigi Leung and Joanne Peh! Grr! =P

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home