Saturday, May 21, 2005

Money VS Interest

As university examinations drew to a close a few weeks ago, it has come to the time of the year when the job hunt starts and many graduates begin considering questions like: what kind of jobs to look for? How high paying are they? And of course, the important century-old debate: should we go for our interest or for money?

In my opinion, “for interest” means that we choose a job that we really like and it makes us psychologically satisfied, but the catch is, it does not pay that well. “For money” means that we choose a job that is not exactly what we would choose to do (if given a choice, and neglecting money aspects) but it makes our pockets bulge with notes. It generally makes us satisfied, material-wise.

Simply put, “interest” resembles our dreams and ambitions, “money” stands for practically—bread and butter.

We sometimes read stories about rich and capable middle-aged CEOs and managers who quit their high-paying cushy jobs to go into volunteer work or education sector etc. Some say that, “this is what I have always wanted to do.” I often wonder, does that mean they chose money over interest when they first started working, and they have realized interest is more important to them than money? Or is it now that they have earned enough, they have the ability to embrace their interests?
Is money so important that it will deter us from pursuing our interests?

I think the answer is both yes, and no.

I admit that as I have not yet joined the work force, the notion (and importance) of money is still not so clear to me. While studying, most students only had to concentrate on studying and parents give them monthly allowance. They have simply no money woes. For some, they do part time jobs or give tuition to support themselves through college, pay phone bills, or to supplement their shopping and entertainment costs etc. However, once they step (or are about to step) into the working world, money issues start to come in, and suddenly, everything seemed to require a lot of money.

When faced with the job dilemma, one part of them says, “This job is what I am interested in, but I cannot earn much in it. I will not be able to earn enough for a car, a house, to support my parents and to start a family a few years down the road. Should I go for money instead?”

The other part says, “I have no worries and little commitments now, if I do not go for my interest, I may never do so again once I have more obligations and responsibilities towards my family. Should I go for interest then?”

It is indeed a dilemma, isn’t it?

If I were to choose for myself at this point of time, I would choose interest over money. Who does not want to do something he really likes? I think while we are still young and can afford to pursue our interests (because we general have less commitment), we should choose a career that we are interested in. Perhaps later on, for monetary or other reasons, we have to reprioritize our interests, but at least we have tried it, and there will be no regrets.

Jobseekers seem to be standing at a crossroad, one path goes for interest, the other goes for money. There is an important choice to be made. But, is there really a choice? Sometimes not, I think. So I say, while you are able to make a choice, do it or at least try for it.

Money is never enough, but we only have one chance at our life.

For interest or for money, what’s your choice?

3 Comments:

At 9:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha... why do i feel myself strangely familiar with this particular argument? =P

 
At 10:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey gal long time no see! personally from frens i know who are working, ideally one should go for a job you are interested in. But sometimes the problem may be that you cant get the job or that the pple u are gonne work with are difficult, so u may just end up somewhere in between. And as life goes on, u get so comfy in that job that u stop searching for that ideal job. (Clara)

 
At 10:38 PM , Blogger yvonne said...

yes, I also think that sometimes people get too used to the job, and the inertia is too high to search for another job, so some might probably stay in the job (even if it is not of their interest) unless they really hate it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home