Friday, June 17, 2005

Bespectacled = Ugly?

Sometime ago, I met a friend (A) and I asked her how another mutual friend of ours (B) was doing.

A said, “Do you know? Ever since B went to university, she started wearing contact lenses, and she became so pretty! Since then, there were a lot of guys who went after her.”

A then sighed and said, “But when B started working, she wore spectacles again. Can you imagine? I really don’t know she was thinking of!”

What A seemed to be saying is, when B wore contact lenses, she was a beauty, but when she resumed wearing spectacles, she was like a swan turned back into an ugly duckling.

A’s words rang hard in my ears.

It is not just because of the fact that I wear spectacles, but because this is not the first time I have heard people saying things along the same line.

Well, all girls love to love pretty, and if wearing contact lenses can make one look better, what is wrong with that?

Nothing, absolutely.

My question is, are girls pretty only when they do not wear spectacles?

My first and only pair of contact lenses was made after I finished junior college, for my prom night. That was the first time I wore contact lenses. I thought I looked pretty alright. But, I felt like I was looking at a different person in the mirror.

My eyes felt naked.

That was the problem with wearing spectacles for too long a time. You are so accustomed with having something shield your eyes that you find it hard to get used to not wearing glasses. After my prom, I still wore my contact lenses occasionally until it expired. And since then, I have not worn one again.

Reasons being that firstly, my eyes get tired easily when I wear contact lenses. My friends say it is because I am not used to it. Secondly, I once had a frightening experience when my contact lenses was caught in my eyes, and I was so scared that I could not get it out. Thirdly, I am worried that extensive use of the contact lenses would be harmful to the eyes, unless there is very proper cleaning and care for the lenses.

For many girls, when they progress to tertiary institutions, they start to wear contact lenses. When girls begin working, even more turn to contact lenses.

Why? Because girls look better with contact lenses?

“That’s not true!” I retorted to a friend recently.

My friend rebuked, “Show me a bespectacled girl who looks really stunning.”

I was dumb founded.

If we were to look for a female artiste, there is hardly any who wears spectacles and who looks really pretty. If we were to look in the streets, (I have to admit, though reluctantly) the ones who look really beautiful usually do not wear spectacles.

So, my friend was right?

I still begged to differ, and I shall continue to search for a good example.

Strangely though, I feel that I look better with glasses than without (Well, it could again be because I am not used to it). Perhaps that is also the reason why I think guys who wear spectacles look better than those without, in the way that they look more intellectual, gentle and good tempered.

If others share my view on this, does it mean that guys look good when they appear scholarly and learned, but scholarly-looking girls do not look pretty or crudely put, ugly?

6 Comments:

At 8:20 PM , Blogger Kevin said...

hey i agree with you ... I really dun get the contact lens = pretty/handsome equation..
i think it all boils down to confidence
ppl can look 'cool' with geeky black plastic rims man.. haha of cos maybe cos if they went for the idol look it won't fit them as well..

oh well wanna 'biological' side to the no 'specs = pretty ' explanation?
maybe it looks like the person has perfect eyesight which is an evolutionary advantage.. haha

 
At 11:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm..i've thought about this before too... actually, i think people in specs tend to look nicer actually.. hehe.. as in, more approachable somehow.. n yes i prefer guys in specs too! =P

(oh.. but one advantage of wearing contacts is not having to deal with your lenses fogging up when u get off the bus.. hehe..)

yz..

 
At 8:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

specs or no specs... is immaterial... beauty is from within...

personally, my preference for girls.. doesn't really matter whether they wear specs or not...

ermmm.. as mentioned in the class journal earlier on... girls in smart office attire and look confident... are sexy... it's abt the whole body image..

as for guys... ermmm.. some prefer guys with specs... (probably for the guai-guai kind of girls... they think guys with specs... look guai-guai.. scholarly and learned.. (in another word, nerdy and to some extent boring... sorry for generalization)...

some prefer guys without specs... coz they seem healthier.. (perfect eyesight = "superior" genes?)... and they are more comfortable in taking part in most outdoor activities... more rugged-looking also..

but well.. after it's personal preference... but i do have to admit sometimes, when someone who's wearing specs.. switches to using contact.. she looks different.. it's like a side of her u never seem b4... it's usually psychological, i think... it's like... "I'm going to look better with contacts" thoughts... made her feel gd abt her body image... and when she feels gd abt herself and her image, she feels confident... and when she feels confident... she's more able to be herself.. and looks attractive to others?

but i also seen girls whom i prefer them to wear specs... coz girls who are used to wearing specs... when they are not wearing them.. their eyes are very small.... and i prefer girls with big eyes... (think jap anime... big sparking eyes... eh.. actually to a photoshop book which i read abt transforming a real-life human photo into an anime... the girl is actually being ermmm "transformed into an alien" with BIG eyes, small nose and mouth and unproportionate ermmm... body parts... :)

all in all, i'm talking crap here...

 
At 10:02 AM , Blogger piglet said...

hey i think w myopia, the eyes are supposed to be smaller when one wear spects. the higher the degree, the smaller the eyes look behind the pair of spects. tt's y most of my friends with high degree of myopia, look so much better w.o spects.
i think tt most ppl look better w.o spects but there r also some who look better w spects, eg laoshu haha (but maybe cos i wasn't used to ur non-spectacled look) and a few guys. some guys look quite se4 w.o spects, so a pair of spects will actually change their outlook hehe.

 
At 11:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually... Lisa Loeb is pretty... Marilyn Monroe felt herself the most pretty when she was in glasses... Julia Robert looked super hot in glasses... http://www.lovehewitt.stopklatka.pl/big/garfield/garfield_03.jpg jennifer love hewitt!

 
At 6:29 PM , Blogger yuch said...

i think contacts are good for practical reasons like playing sports, but otherwise glasses are nice too!

guess it all boils down to how comfortable u are with urself.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home