Friday, June 03, 2005

I am 23, not 17

Personally, I do not think I have a babyface, but I am often mistaken to be younger than my actual age. Sometimes, much younger.

Just a few weeks ago, somebody thought I was just 17.

I think it has to do with me being what most people kindly and nicely termed as “vertically-challenged”, in other words, SHORT.

Being short generally makes me appear younger, regardless of the way I look (my face).

Don’t get it?

It is the same case for instance, we see a teenager who looks like she is a secondary school student, and then we look at her height coupled with her looks, we would probably exclaim, “So short, she must be in primary school, if not, at most secondary one.”

People tell me I should be happy that I look younger than my age. When I groan in response, they retort, “Do you want to look older then?”

No, of course not, nobody wants to look older, especially girls.

But, I guess when you are in your twenties and people still think you are a teen, perhaps it is not just the height problem (this is another interesting topic, but I will leave it for some other day), but also the way you dress and carry yourself. It does not help that teenage girls these days just cannot seem to wait to grow up and they dress as though they are adults. That somehow blurs the distinction further.

(It is funny, isn’t it? When we are young, we want to look like an adult and we try to dress like one. As we get older, we try means and ways to dress and look younger.)

I do not really mind being mistaken as being younger; sometimes I even glee in delight.

Looking younger is fine but definitely not kiddish. If you look like a kid, most people do not take you or what you do and say seriously. Worse of all, people question your maturity and doubt your capabilities. Not to mention appearing like an easy prey for people to push their weight around just because they think you are only a kid.

The biggest joke I can recall of being mistaken to be younger than my actual age, was when I was 19. One day, I was in school uniform and I was with my father when we met his friend. After he finished chatting with my father, he turned to me and asked me, “So, have you finished your PSLE?”

I almost died of embarrassment.

I guess people who have never been mistaken as being younger will never be able to understand the woes of it.

Not that there are no happy moments though.

For one, I seem to click better with young children and I love that! Perhaps the kids think I am more-or-less-about-the-same-as-them, and so they are more willing to regard me as a playmate.

Now at 23, I may prefer people to think that I am 23 and not younger. But, when I grow older, perhaps at 30, I will be hoping that people still think I am 23!

I have heard people saying that if you look younger than you actually are when you are young, it is likely that the process of aging will speed up as you grow older, and you will look older than you really are later on.

Sounds scary isn’t it? I sure hope this is just hearsay!

12 Comments:

At 7:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

someone mentioned you have the makings of a good columnist,
well, from what I see here, you're definitely on your way!

maybe next time can try it in chinese, heh!

 
At 8:50 PM , Blogger piglet said...

hee i have e same experience as u too girl, but so far i'm quite happy when they mistaken me to be younger haha. after a-levels when i went on a cruise w my fren, 2 kiddish guys tried to pick us up, thinking we haven't finish our o-levels!! then during my oia days, my colleagues always mistaken me to be 19 or 20. when i go shopping w jared, he is mistaken to be in NS and me in JC! haha i wonder wat could go wrong..maybe cos we dun wear make up most of e times? dun think it will happen often in future when we begin to wear our more mature working clothes hee.

 
At 9:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha.. i have the same problem (or advantage?)
ya lor.. so funny I constantly chuckle with my inner voice when i hear someone say that they are too mature for their age or older than their age. I know for a fact it means that they are not mature yet. everyone has been through those phases.. me included.. i tot I was mature .. of cos when things really happen then you really know if you are mature or not.. think its a biological thing.. this race to be 'mature' even babies.. they are so 'cute' when u see them trying to be adults; playing with toys like handphones or playing with computers or chopsticks.. they have a strange knack for differentiating toy handphones and real handphones... haha strange...

 
At 10:22 AM , Blogger yvonne said...

lj: haha, really? *so flattered* =P thanks thanks! I'll try it in Chinese next time! u must read ah! heh!

piglet: ha...I sure hope I don't get mistaken for an intern when I start working next time...ARGH! =P

kevin: really? babies can differentiate real and toy hps? wah! super babies!

 
At 10:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

funny... haha

 
At 1:53 AM , Blogger El Hombre said...

haha..i heard from ya abt ya biggest joke long time ago..heh..is always great to look younger..dun need to worry about ppl not taking u seriously..it takes just a short while for them to understand tt u mean business..haha..show them ya maturity in ya words..wont be a prob for ya..

Just a month ago when i was studying for my exams..stucked at home for 2 weeks or so..din shave for tt period..haha..in the end..looked darn rugged..the garang guni man passed by my house and called me "Uncle"..muahaha..FIRST time someone addressed me by tt..has always been "XIao DI"..

 
At 10:24 AM , Blogger yvonne said...

haha, I think garang gunis just like to address people as uncles and aunties! Once I was wearing a school PE tshirt, and I was called "Auntie" too! haha!
Talk about being called "xiao di" and "xiao mei", I think it must be quite comical if we grow old next time and people still call us that way! ha!

 
At 10:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's still ok if:

1) girls dress up to look older - like teenage girls who dolled up to look like 20s
2) girls in their twenties still look like 17 - some girls are just borned petite and have baby faces =P

but... some women who are already in their 50s and still dress like 20s is definitely a no-no!

 
At 11:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah!!! i dun like the last 2nd paragraph!! dun scare mi!!

one gd thing abt looking young is being "less bugged" by those insurance agents etc. sometimes i jus simply "admit" that yes, i'm a student. heh.

 
At 5:06 PM , Blogger yvonne said...

ron: there are really some women who tend to dress too young...perhaps its best to dress according to your age so as to bring the best out of you! =P

chiu: haha! me too!

 
At 6:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh.. ur nick is "xiao hai zi" rite?.. i guess it still holds.. haha..

 
At 3:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, i think i kb b4 on journal that some ang moh thought i was below 18! .. actually i think when i went back s'pore last aug, a NTUC cashier thought I was a sec 4 student gonna take O levels (if i remember correctly..)
Actually, guess I'm not exactly angry or whatever when someone thinks i'm that geena .. as you've said .. i think when we get older we'll want to look younger.. just that sometimes i find it amusing that i look that young.. on the other hand, I still find it hard to believe that we're 23 this year .. and next year's Dog year .. so we'll be 24.. kauz. that fast.. I was talking to a Malaysian friend and he was saying it's scary when you have 15 year long friends .. seeing friends getting married and got children liao etc. (and they are only 24/25 i think). yeah, to think that it's been 5 years since we've graduated .. and i've known some friends for like 10+ years liao.. time really flies.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home