Wednesday, June 01, 2005

My boyfriend is type-B

My boyfriend is type-B, type-B meaning blood type B. And, I am type-A.

This is what spurred me to watch the currently screening Korean love comedy “My boyfriend is type-B”, starring Lee Dong-gun and Han Ji-hye.

Korean movie directors seem to be running out of creative juices. Out of ten Korean romance comedies, at least eight have the same kind of storyline.

A handsome guy and a sweet looking girl, who were initially at loggerheads, fell in love. After a while, their differences made them fall out with each other and they broke up. Nevertheless, they realized they still loved each other and so they got together again, and continued their funny squabbles, with a happily-ever-after ending.

Yawn. So predictable.

However, despite the humdrum plots and the forgettable storylines, I simply LOVE Korean romance comedies.

They are so funny! They may seem like slapstick, but it makes me happy watching them, and I can simply pull my head back and laugh out loud (these are the times when I am glad movies are screened in the dark).

“My boyfriend is type-B” is one good example.

In this movie, there are quite a number of humorous dialogues and a couple of unexpected funny scenes.

What is most interesting about this (otherwise typical laugh-it-out-loud-in-the-cinema-and-forget-what-you-were-laughing-at-after-you-leave-the-theatre-kind-of-love-comedy) movie is that it talks about how blood types play a part in a relationship.

In this movie, the male lead role is a blood type B guy, and the female lead role is a type A girl (just like in my case!). It is believed that type B guys are selfish, arrogant and insensitive, and they make the worst lovers. On the other hand, type A girls are naïve, shy and compromising.

Couples with these two blood types are said to be incompatible because of their vastly different characters. The movie hilariously revolves around how the girl did not believe in blood-type-compatibility initially until the guy gradually displayed the type B characteristics and she could no longer stand it. The couple broke up but they ended up together in the finale, with a slight twist.

The interesting thing is, can blood types really determine if people are compatible?

I think most people would laugh it off as a silly idea. Just like what the male lead role said, there are so many people in the world, how could they be simply categorized into four main groups by their blood types A, B, AB and O?

Nonetheless, people who believe that horoscopes and zodiac signs can help to see if two people are suited for each other would probably subscribe to the idea that blood types can do the trick too. After all, people with the same blood group do share certain similar character traits.

For me, I do not think blood-type compatibility really works, at least it doesn't seem true in my case.

I would recommend this movie because it has kept me well entertained with the wacky theory on blood-type-compatibility. But if you are looking forward to a multi-million dollar mega production with fabulous casts and state-of-the-art animation, this movie is not for you.

And in case you are interested, it is believed that people with blood type A are most well-matched with A and AB, type B is most suitable for B and AB, type AB is most compatible with A, B, O and AB, and type O gets along best with lovers of type AB and O.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home