Tuesday, June 14, 2005

I should never become rich and famous

I should never become rich and famous.

I am too much of a heartlander.

Let’s picture this.

Should I become rich and famous one day, I will not eat in a crowded hawker centre and jeopardize my image as a wealthy and distinguished lady, and certainly not at the risk of being caught by the paparazzi. I will go to a quiet French restaurant and enjoy the violin being played in the background. If I really crave for hawker food, I will send Maria to buy it for me. I will not go to the NTUC supermarket to buy groceries, and run the risk of having an auntie or uncle spot me queuing at the cashier with a pack of toilet rolls. If I really have to top up groceries, I will choose the Marketplace supermarket which is less crowded with budget shoppers and frequently patronized by expatriates. I will not take public transport and have people peer at me up and down, or have people pretend to sms but sneakily snapping my photo with their handphone. I will have a chauffeur drive me around the whole day. I will never allow myself to be caught shopping at neighbourhood stores, my shopping haunts should be high class boutiques in town.

So much for daydreaming. Whew! It was really a draining daydream!


There are so many things that I cannot do if I am rich and famous.

Can you imagine? Not being able to go to hawker centres for meals, not being able to wear a t-shirt, bermudas and slippers to the NTUC supermarket and carry big grocery bags home, and not being able to walk and shop at the neighbourhood stores and malls?

Frankly, who does not want to be rich and famous? To have all the money in the world to be spent at your whim and pleasure, and to have everyone know who you are and be everyone’s model and inspiration. Or simply to have people envy you, and say, “I wish I could be like him/her.”

I believe, no matter how humble a person is or how much a person does not like to be in the limelight or the centre of attention, there is always this tiny bubble of self-importance in you that make you yearn to become rich and famous. It could be a bursting bubble, or just a well concealed one, so well concealed that you do not even know it, and you will always proclaim, “I just want to be a normal person.”

But, being rich and famous is not easy.

I once saw this well known celebrity at a neighbourhood store near my house. She was holding up and scrutinizing a blouse at this store that is swarmed by uncles and aunties because there was a big sale going on. My friend said to me, “Look! It’s XXX! I didn’t know she comes here to buy clothes. I thought with her fame, she should be going to expensive boutiques!”

Rich and famous people are basically just like you and me. Why impose unnamed rules on where they should eat and shop? Does it not sound like they are in a living prison? (The irony is, sometimes they are the ones who impose the rules on themselves.)

Well, some people may feel that rich and famous people have both the wealth and the fame, so what does a little sacrifice mean to them Perhaps nothing. But, I guess sometimes the little daily sacrifices are the ones that people might appreciate most.

Just the other day, I was going to take the train to go for a badminton session. I wore a t-shirt and beach bermudas, and carried the racket in my hands. My mother’s jaw dropped when she saw me.

Mother: You are going to take the MRT in this?
Me: Hmm…yes, what’s wrong?
Mother: People will laugh at you!
Me: Aiyoh, nobody knows me lah!

We often marvel at millionaires or billionaires, celebrities whom everyone idolizes, but I guess the pressures and sacrifices of a rich and famous people are what I would probably never be able to handle. A rich and famous person’s hat is too big for me.

No doubt a little wealth and fame would not hurt, in fact it may also make some people happier. But, I think I will be contented with being just a heartlander.



(On a side note, could it be just sour grapes, because I am neither rich nor famous now?)

8 Comments:

At 11:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahh u know.. my mum always tells me the exact same thing your mum told you.. hehe..

p/s:it was really nice seeing you today too.. =)

 
At 11:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops.. that was yingzhen.. hehe..

 
At 10:31 AM , Blogger piglet said...

maybe it's hard to imagine myself in tt position, tt's y i kept thinking why can't a rich n famous person just sit in for hawker food (a lot of celebrities do take-away good hawker food), go for sales etc. but i think i will never understand it unless i were in tt position. but come to say, many rich (not famous) ppl do still visit hawker centre, wear simple clothes, grab sales items etc..i personally seen quite a few. so maybe the 'fame' is more of e factor pulling back those rich n famous ppl..since they feel uncomfortable being stared at by the public. :)

 
At 4:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that being famous really restricts the things that you can do (eg. queueing up to buy 4D/TOTO?), but rich people who are not famous can 'hide' their wealth pretty well.

So given a choice, I want to be rich, BUT not famous!

 
At 1:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

eXactly.. rich n NOT famous is one of the best ways to be. but den again, i once saw this story somewhere...

b4 he was famous, he always wore shabbily, his reason being nobody wud recognise him.
after he became famous N rich, he was still the same. the reason being, since he's rich n famous now, therez NO need to dress up :)

actually i've seen a lot of rich pple at supermarts, sales n hawker centers, becuz if they made it there themsleves, they understand tt the most impt way to become richer, is to be able to be thrifty.

 
At 10:51 AM , Blogger yvonne said...

Probably these are people who made it rich themselves, so they are not brain-washed by their wealth...

Rich but not famous? Hmm...that's a nice idea...but once you become rich (I mean really rich) and there is no more worries over money, you would probably want to attain fame as well...It is like gaining some sort of social status. Some people would probably think that wealth without fame is not enough.

 
At 12:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not that ambitious... Just aim to be rich (a.k.a. "financially independent"), and enjoy life with my family, without seeking fame.

Perhaps I'm a "Family Man"? =)

 
At 1:34 PM , Blogger piglet said...

hee same here, i would opt to be just rich but not famous if i have the choice. :P

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home