Monday, July 04, 2005

I go to the IMH, does that make me a lunatic?

Sometime ago, I was sent out on an assignment, and I had to make a trip to the IMH.

IMH stands for Institute of Mental Health, better known as “Woodbridge Hospital” to many Singaporeans. And commonly thought to be a place that houses “lunatics”.

That day, I had the first taste of being regarded as a “mad” woman.

I have never been to the IMH before, but I found out beforehand that a particular bus could take me there.

I enquired a station attendant at the MRT station, “May I know where I could take the bus to IMH?”

The station attendant raised his eyebrows, pointed hastily to the exit and said, “Over there.”

I sensed his wariness and I thanked him and left quickly. I could feel he was peering at me weirdly from behind.

Not knowing where exactly I could alight, I wanted to ask the bus driver when I boarded the bus.

“Excuse me, is this the bus to IMH?”

“…Yes…”

The driver scrutinized me from head to top. That day, I was dressed quite neatly, apart from slightly ruffled hair because I had been running around the whole day, like a mad woman, literally.

Well, the driver did not seem to want to entertain me anymore, and so I gave up without trying. I found a seat and decided to look out for road signs on my own.

I happened to glance at the driver, and guess what? He was looking at me through his rear window mirror!

He must have thought I am mad, just because I am making a trip to the IMH! And he must be wondering what a mad woman was doing on his bus!

On that day, I realized how stereotypical some people could be, especially in areas they are not familiar with. No doubt the IMH deals with lunatics, but not all people who go there are crazy! People who have slight emotional distress or disorder go there to seek treatment, some attend therapy sessions there, some work there, and others like me, just happened to have to make a trip there.

I used to be stereotypical of certain things as well, but after this incident of being placed awkwardly into a situation, and realising that it certainly does not feel good to be mistaken as a lunatic, I think it is time to change some of my views too.

2 Comments:

At 7:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

have u ever thought, maybe it's precisely because of our preconceptions abt IMH and the people there that makes us specially aware of ourselves and the way ppl look at us? for all we knoe, the same situation occurs when we're going elsewhere, not IMH, but jus tt we are not so conscious and hence unaware.

i hope i'm making sense, heh.

 
At 12:26 PM , Blogger yvonne said...

That makes sense...=)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home