Friday, September 30, 2005

Electricity for my laptop please?

For the past few days, I could only stare at my laptop, with it "looking" blankly back at me. It was unbearable!

I was unable to switch my laptop on. Not because it is spoilt (thank goodness!), but because the adapter was damaged.

I have no idea how it became faulty, but I was filled with shock and annoyance. It happened when I was watching a set of Korean drama VCDs (I will talk about this another time) on my laptop. I was reaching the most crucial moment in the story when ------- the screen just died!


It was then that I realized the electricity used to power my laptop had been completely depleted.

From a full battery icon, to an empty bar left. The battery strength indication had changed from 100% to 78%, 54%, 35%, 13%...And before I could realize what was wrong, the screen became a total blank!

“WAIT! Hang on! Let me...” My cries went muffled and unanswered.

It was after much examination that I realized my adapter was spoilt, and there was no way I could connect electricity to my laptop to switch it on again. I was sweating, sticky, and feeling irritated with the entire business.

There was no way out, except to get a new adapter.

I was tied down the following days, and could only find time to get an adapter a few days later.

During my shopping trip for the adapter, I realized girls can sometimes be really too wishy-washy.

“Should I buy this? It seems too expensive. Will there be a cheaper one in another shop? Should I buy the original brand? If I use another brand, will it spoil my laptop?...”

But one good thing is that, when shopping for electrical devices, I do not like to look around too much. If I go into one shop and see something suitable, with a relatively reasonable price, I will save myself the trouble of popping into another shop. (But this ONLY applies to shopping for electrical devices, for clothes and accessories, I can spend ages just to choose the best, or the ones I like most. Funny, isn’t it? Or are most girls like this?)

However, I did not have the full information of my laptop with me then, and was unable to select the exact adapter. Moreover, the price of the original adapter was pretty steep, and as my laptop was bought four years ago, my type of adapter was not readily available in the stocks. I left the shop, disappointed with the wasted shopping trip.

The next day, I found a shop which sells second hand adapters with a one month warranty, at a price three times cheaper than the original. I do not usually trust second hand products (excluding books), but nevertheless, because of the convenience, the tempting price and driven to desperation without my laptop (try not using your computer for a few days, you will see what I mean!), I made a trip down and closed the deal at one shot.

My laptop is now up and running. FINALLY.

Let’s hope this adapter will last. Otherwise the next time I go missing-in-action for a number of days in a stretch, it means my adapter has failed me again.

1 Comments:

At 12:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha, glad you manage to buy the adapter! For a tech guy like me who switch on my PC everyday WITHOUT fail, I can understand the agony for not surfing the net, checking emails etc! =P

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home