Thursday, December 22, 2005

Do girls never listen?

A guy friend commented that many girls appear to live in a world of their own and do not seem to listen to people, especially guys, around them. I protested and was all geared up for a debate, until he narrated the following story (he read it from the papers, but I have changed certain details).

And then, I decided to keep my mouth shut.

**********************************************


Girl asked Boy, “What would you like for Christmas?”

Boy said, “Perhaps the watch we saw the other day…What would you like for Christmas?”

Girl said, “The necklace I told you I liked.”

They then went on their own to buy the presents. Boy went right down to the shop to buy the necklace. Girl went in search of the “perfect” Christmas gift. She went everywhere, but nowhere near the watch shop.

On Christmas Day, Girl and Boy exchanged their presents.

Boy bought Girl the necklace; Girl bought Boy a sports cap. Girl was delighted with her new necklace; Boy cannot help but feel a tinge of disappointment. He smiled and tried hard to conceal his slight displeasure.

Girl said, “I saw this beautiful cap the other day, it’s so cool, isn’t it? You like it, don’t you?”


Boy said, “Eh, yes…thanks, I love it.”

**********************************************

I laughed when I finished hearing the story.

It sounded so real, so much like what I might have done (I hope I am not guilty of it though!). Like I mentioned before, it seems so “plain” and “normal” to buy a present that someone requested. I would rather sit down and think what one might need or what one might want, and go in search of THAT present.

On hindsight, perhaps I was really living in my own world.

I am sure Boy would like whatever Girl buys, even if it was not what he wanted in the first place. After all, Girl bought it because she felt that it suited him and that he would like it.

Now, that is where the problem arose.

Why did Girl not buy the watch for Boy when he had said he wanted that? Perhaps she wanted to give Boy a surprise. Perhaps she thought she knew better what Boy wanted. Perhaps she thought a cap would make a better Christmas present.

But, Girl was not listening to Boy at all.

The cap is something Girl wanted for Boy, but not what Boy wanted from Girl.

Do not impose your ideas on someone else.

Listen to your loved ones.

Do not just hear your own voice, and naively think that their voices echo with yours.

4 Comments:

At 1:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes, it involves more than listening... it takes internalization, and seeing things from the person's perspective, to get exactly what the other party is saying. More often than not, a point is interpreted in many different ways, because we all relate to the matter from our own perspective. :)

 
At 8:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas! Hope you receive lotsa presents during this joyous festival!

 
At 4:25 AM , Blogger Kevin said...

AHAHA where is that story ur fren read u?
ITS sooo gawd darn true!

 
At 5:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guys don't listen to girls. Not now,not ever. In fact, I have no doubt this story is written by a guy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home