Monday, April 03, 2006

Goodbye Crime Desk

Last week, I was still a rookie crime desk reporter.

This week, I have been transformed (strictly speaking, I am still under training) into a serious political news reporter.

Because of the upcoming elections and the lack of manpower, I was thrown into a completely new "working environment" (still with the same paper but a different desk), with just a few days' notice.

What a roller-coaster!

Young Singaporeans have always been labelled as uninterested in local politics, ignorant or plainly bo-chup.

To tell you the truth, I have never been truly very interested in politics. I can name who's who is in the Cabinet and I know the more well-known opposition party members. But that's the furtherst I could go. Or more precisely, that is all that I feel the "urge" to find out. Full-stop.

I wonder how many people feel the way I do?


Today, I went on my first political assignment with a senior journalist. It was PAP's announcement of their fourth batch of candidates.

Some 30 journalists appeared to come prepared with burning questions on their minds. It was no surprise, after all, news on the elections have been on the papers and television since January or even earlier. But being a greenhorn, I was in a bit of a "culture shock" and felt kind of out of place.

After the three candidates were introduced and they made their individual speeches, questions were open to the floor. Hands shot up from the left, the right, at the front, from the back, from everywhere!

Questions from journalists were blasted at the candidates, but they were not tough questions, and answers were fairly well given too.

As the session ended, photographers rushed forward to capture shots, while journalists pushed forward and held up recorders to the candidates, I was almost knocked off my feet!

There was another round of indepth interviews and within two hours, the whole session came to a close.

My mind often goes to a blank when I am thinking of interview questions for the politicians. It made me miss the times when I was in crime desk, where questions came instantaneously and readily to mind.

Well, I guess this is just my first day and I am still not used to the new jobscope. But in view of the upcoming elections, there is no time to lament or to dilly-dally, I need to do my homework fast!

I am not sure if interest can be cultivated, but knowledge certainly has to be built up.

Wish me luck!

8 Comments:

At 12:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck gal! -mo

 
At 8:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

is this posting jus temp?
jiayou bah.. well, at least no need to rush to midnight murder scenes, heh..

 
At 11:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to not be that interested in politics, but after going abroad and getting exposed to different ways of governance, as well as the various criticisms people have of Singapore, it made me pay more attention to the political scene.

One place where you can read up on politics would be Wikipedia... this article gives an overview and stuff. Of course books on the subject matter are probably better... but I have a feeling they may be even more boring than that article. :P

Some questions that started me reading up on politics more are like: what is the function of the president, why is he like just a ceremonial figure? How do elections work, in the US they elect their president, but in Singapore the new PM is chosen by the previous one. Why are the opposition parties generally so sucky? Is a strong opposition like the two-party systems you get in other countries necessarily better off for Singapore?

You're right that most people from our generation don't really care about politics that much, and I think the effect is much more pronounced in people from our JC, and perhaps from a science/engineering background. Its like "let the government handle everything can liao", we don't need to care too much as long as we're happy with our own lives. But I think it is very important to be more politically aware, because politics really concerns the core and fundamental well-being of our country.

Also journalism plays a very important role in politics. Its often referred to as the Fourth Estate. So I guess as a journalist its good you're getting exposure in this important field of work.

Okay, I shall stop loh-sohing now. :)

 
At 9:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

加油!

 
At 2:15 PM , Blogger yvonne said...

Thanks! I think I am beginning to enjoy it! =P

 
At 12:56 PM , Blogger dustbin said...

hiya ... just happened to stumble upon your blog today (and it's still exam season back in good ol' NUS physics )

While browsing through the contents of your previous entry I came across the entry in which you said that you're being perceived as being younger than you really are due to your height ... and at the same time I remembered that there's this photo in Shin Min Daily News of Ng Eng Hen being interviewed while you're visible in the picture as well holding a tape recorder to him next to another female reporter who's like one head taller than you ...
(I think it's within a few days of your penning the article on the JC guy who committed suicide which incdientally is the first non-political article which i saw you write) ... so i'm just wondering if your not being very tall might interfere with your work?

Anyway, good luck! Just wanted to say that ever since I've spotted your picture in Shin Min daily news in your column about your first time getting to vote I've been keeping a lookout for articles written by you as well =)

 
At 8:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

 
At 9:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home