Saturday, July 29, 2006

Unusual "Date" - Part 1

I am finally going to have a date with him.

We arranged to meet last week but he stood me up. I was told he forgot about it, but I have a feeling he chose not to remember.

This week, I specially dressed up for the occasion.

It was quite awkward initially when we were first introduced to each other. And then we were left alone. Neither of us spoke initially.

Then I broke the silence, "Do you know why you are here?"

He nodded his head silently. I could not tell from his expression if he truly knew. I also could not tell if that nod meant "I know why I am here and I am resigned to it", or if it meant "I came because I was told to". Neither option appears appealing. I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Time crawled on. Our date was supposed to last for 45 minutes to an hour. By half an hour, I was running out of things to say (or more specifically, to ask).

"What do you enjoy doing in your free time? What's your favourite colour? What animal do you like best?"

We were a picture of stark contrast. I was an invader charging with enthusiasm, he was a nonchalant spectator, watching with caution and boredom.

He looked from the floor to the table, to his fingers to the door. Not once did our eyes meet. He yawned a couple of times, and he smiled once or twice, quite faintly though, but I was sure those were smiles.

When time was almost up, I took out a piece of paper, wrote my name and phone number on it.

"Remember we are meeting up again next week, same time, same place, okie? Call me and let me know if you cannot make it, okie?" I was thinking of the last time he stood me up, and I did not want history to repeat itself.

He took the slip of paper, folded it up and cramped it into his pocket. I could not help but wonder where it will end up in another hour.

With that, he said goodbye and left without looking back.

Our first date ended on a note, as awkward as it started.

5 Comments:

At 6:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe don't try to bombard him wif so many questions, might be quite overwhelming.. jus give him something to do.. then from there when he's more comfortable wif u then he'll open up..
make ur language simple..
bring out more of those smiles! =)

 
At 8:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

something unrelated, i tot i saw someone who looks like u on bus 52 this morning (sunday), damn early..like 7.45am..haha

 
At 2:55 PM , Blogger yvonne said...

jingkai: you must have gotten the wrong person..=)

 
At 5:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

haa ok :P

 
At 11:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

kids are kids... get a paper , ask them to draw whatever they like and u'll be surprise what they can draw in that plain paper...

I did that with kids and many times , I got so amazed by their talent....

maybe from what they draw , you can slowly understand them a little better and probably help to foster the bond and easier for u to actually help him better :P

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home