Saturday, September 23, 2006

In Search of the Sunflowers

The IMF/WB meetings came and passed by in the twinkling of an eye.

To most people, the meetings did not have much significance.

A person I interviewed put it very aptly, “They hold their meetings. I lead my life.”

Most people probably did not have much of an idea what was discussed in the meetings. This was partly because the material was too technical, and also, the meetings were too exclusive and not relevant to most.

But now that the IMF/WB is over, there is something I am very interested to find out.

The fate of the sunflowers.

A few days ago, I saw the roadsides around Cityhall and the Singapore Management University (SMU) being lined with rows of sunflowers.

This was the first time I saw sunflowers "sprouted" out from the ground, along the roads in Singapore.

My first thought was, “Gosh, they look so comical, so weird and so out of place!”

And I could not help but giggle at the ridiculous sight of the sunflowers standing so tall and upright.

But after a while, I realized the sunflowers actually look pretty cute where they were.


Like many other flowers and plants, these sunflowers were planted before the IMF/WB meetings (people call it “for show”), and some people predicted that they would be removed once the meetings are over.

Would they? Or would they not?

Today, two days after the meetings ended, I went in search of the sunflowers.

I started my walk from Cityhall, and treaded the route to SMU. I walked round SMU, but I could not find the sunflowers.

Oh no, have they been removed already? I thought.

And then as I walked further…I saw them finally!

They were still standing tall and upright, but some had lost all their petals, and looked rather miserable.


So, the authorities did not remove the plants right after the meetings, as rumoured. But as to how long the flowers were going to stay there, I do not know.

Probably till they wither and die?

I am actually quite skeptical about the way the authorities “dolled” up the places where delegates might pass by during the course of the IMF/WB meetings. Imagine what this money could do had it been used to help the poor and needy?

Take the analogy of receiving guests at your house. It is definitely nice and proper to clean and tidy your house and in anticipation of their visit. But to spend a fortune to repaint your house is a little over the roof.

To me, cleaning up the streets and doing normal maintenance like repairing damaged facilities are alright, but things like putting on new “clothes” for the trees in the Orchard area, and adding so many new plants along the roads, are a little unnecessary and extravagant, although I agree that they do add a nice and cheerful touch to the surroundings.

But now that the bright flowers are in place (and the money has been spent), I wish they could remain there permanently. But how much it is going to cost to maintain them, is another important factor to consider.

4 Comments:

At 9:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah, memento mori. i'm referring to the flowers, not to the two organizations (quickly added).

 
At 8:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

sidetrack a bit.. I like the first photo. it's nicely taken... =P

 
At 12:59 PM , Blogger yvonne said...

Really? Thanks! =P

 
At 1:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh the clothes on orchard road trees is an art work for bienalle!

but you are still right, the whole bienalle is show for IMF anyway.

singapore going to be like paris mah.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home