Monday, September 25, 2006

Taxi uncle, can you go to...?

Imagine you are a taxi driver. A passenger flags down your taxi, tells you the address of the place he wants to go to, but the location does not ring a bell. However, the passenger is unable to offer you more details or point out landmarks around the destination.

What will you do?

1) I do not know the place. Take the next cab.
2) You need to give me more details.
3) I can drive you, but can you check the street directory while I drive?

I think most taxi drivers react by (1) and (2). This is based on my two experiences with 10 taxi drivers in the past week. Unfortunately, none of them used (3).

In the first incident, I have the name of the destination and the exact location at Dunearn Road, but four taxis at the cab stand do not know the place. I have never been there either and could offer limited information.

One taxi driver said, "You need to tell me the exact location."

"Uncle, I have told you the exact location. It's at number XX, Dunearn Road."

"You need to tell me which part of Dunearn Road. Dunearn Road is very long, you know."

I give up.

"It's okie, thanks for your help. I'll try the next taxi."

Finally, I met a taxi driver who knows "roughly" where the place is, and we managed to find it with the help of road signs.

In the second instance, I have the address of my destination, which is a private estate, but there are no specific landmarks nearby. Similarly, I have never been there before.

4 taxi drivers did not know the place, and were not helpful in offering an alternative solution, like in the form of (3).

Eventually, I hopped onto the fifth cab, "Uncle, do you have a street directory? Maybe I can check and give you directions while you drive." He agreed, and finally I was on my way.

I do not blame taxi drivers who do not know how to go to certain places. I know many became taxi drivers only after they lost their jobs due to retrenchment, so it is natural for them not to be that well equipped with the knowledge and locations. But I just wish they could be more helpful.

I cannot speak for all passengers, but I do not mind looking through the street directory as the driver works his way on the roads, especially if the destination is in some uncommon location. I just want to get to where I need to be on time, and the taxi driver just wants to earn a living, so I am perfectly fine with helping each other out.

Having said that, it can get quite irritating though, if the taxi driver does not know how to get to a place that is relatively "well-known".

On a side note, I realized it is exceptionally important for taxi drivers to have a street directory on board.

I once met a taxi driver who pulled out a street map (the kind meant for tourists) for me. I almost fainted. He then handed me a street directory which is almost 10 years old. I just wish I had taken another cab then.

7 Comments:

At 9:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My personal experiences...

1) I once hopped into a cab near my place and asked to go to Tampines Mall. The uncle replied, "Where is Tampines Mall ahh?" I almost fainted.

2) I hopped into a silver cab way past midnight near my work place. The driver wasn't familiar with my destination. But he cooly punched a few keys into his computer screen... and in less than a minutes he could identified where my exact unit is. Now that's what I call a high tech cabbie!

Btw I don't work for silver cab. =P

 
At 1:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it would look very unprofessional for a taxi driver to ask the passenger to check the street directory, which is why they don't do that. I think most people would complain to the cab company if they had to check the directory for the driver. If I could figure out how to get to a place on my own, why would I get a cab?

 
At 5:21 PM , Blogger yvonne said...

You have a point, but if the place is in quite an unknown location, and the driver asks, "do you mind if you check the directory?" or offers to check the directory before he starts driving, I think that is value-added service.
Would you complain to the cab company if he asked you to check the directory?

 
At 11:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is not necessary that the driver can ask the passenger to check the street directory while he drives.

There is 4th alternative choice too. He can check the street directory himself before he drives off to bring his passenger to his/her destination.

 
At 12:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Would you complain to the cab company if he asked you to check the directory? "

I'm not very good with maps in the first place, I'd probably choose 4th alternative and ask the driver to check the map. :P

 
At 2:32 PM , Anonymous Airport said...

That is very helpful for increasing my knowledge in this field. nottingham to gatwick airport

 
At 8:53 PM , Blogger Asad said...

I think it would look very unprofessional for a taxi driver to ask the passenger to check the street directory, which is why they don't do that. I think most people would complain to the cab company if they had to check the directory for the driver. If I could figure out how to get to a place on my own, why would I get a cab? https://happynewyear2k19.co/

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home