Monday, October 09, 2006

Are you revealing too much information?

I read an interesting article in the Straits Times today on the amount of personal information that people put on the internet.

Whether it is on blogs, websites, Friendster or MSN etc, some people reveal their names, email addresses, mobile number, age, hobbies, name of school or workplace, weekly schedule, habits, photographs, the area where they stay etc. In a nutshell, almost all their personal and private data.

And since the information is put up on the World Wide Web, any friends, or any strangers, will be able to get hold of the data easily.

By making such personal details readily available, it also meant that if there was someone out there who has an ulterior motive, he can almost stalk you effortlessly.

Scary, isn’t it?

Well, but not everyone who read others’ blogs or websites have a secret, hidden agenda, in fact, I think most people don’t. But you never know which ones are the black sheep, and you never know what they are up to.

I recall a rather frightening incident that took place a few years back, when I received a call on my mobile phone from a male pervert.

I could not remember the actual conversation, but it was obvious that he was a pervert, and I shall spare you the details. But one thing I remembered was, he knew my name and he mentioned seeing me in my junior college’s canteen, which meant he knew which JC I had studied in.


I hung up the phone quickly.

At that time, I had graduated from JC, and was already in university.

It is no big deal for my friends to know which JC I came from, but I do not think a friend would make such a perverted call.


Who is he? How did he know my phone number? How did he know which school I studied at? It was quite terrifying for me then as these questions flooded my mind.

I quickly did a mental check, and realized I had put my contacts and schooling information on the ICQ. I reckoned he got the information from there, and I quickly removed those particulars that day.

As his phone number was a private number, it was not reflected on my caller ID. For the rest of the day, I received a few more calls from a private number, but I did not pick them up.

As I told my family about this, my phone rang again, and this time my sister answered the call. It was him again. My sister demanded to know who he is, and why he was doing that. According to my sister, he did not reveal who he is (obviously he won’t), but he apologized and promised not to do it again. My gallant sister saved the day.

But the whole incident seemed quite suspicious, and I was prepared to lodge a complaint with the police, but he stopped calling and so I let the matter rest.

This is just an instance of how personal details revealed over the internet could possibly be misused and abused.

No doubt the more information we disclose or list on our blogs or websites, the easier it is to connect with friends, long lost friends or even make friends with people who share your interests.

But there are possible dangers lurking in the dark corners.

Make a check today to see if you might be revealing too much.

4 Comments:

At 2:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that one should know when to draw the line on the amount of information to reveal. Extremely sensitive information like your exact home address, home and mobile number etc should never be posted online.

However, I think everything else is very much permissible. As you said, while there are black sheep, most people aren't like that. When we blog or post information about ourselves online, it is usually to let other people, especially family and friends, have an avenue to keep up with what we are doing. I don't think I have the time to meet up with everyone often, so things like blogging is a godsend.

I suppose we have to learn to live with a little chaos in life. Singapore is a little too orderly, isn't it? :p

 
At 4:30 PM , Blogger yvonne said...

It's often very easy for a blogger to let his guard down, especially if he blogs about his own life, because he assumes only his family and friends read it. It may not be the case though, since we are talking about the World Wide Web.

It's fine to live with a little chaos, not with danger though =P

 
At 1:56 AM , Blogger fr said...

OK lah, not to worry; actually the risk is not that great.

By the way, I don't see this has anything to do with chaos.

I see you have changed your photo again.

 
At 2:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose you have a point that bloggers should be aware of certain things, such as unintended people reading your blog. I don't see a problem, as long as you don't libel someone in the blog.

I found quite an interesting resource on how to blog without getting into legal trouble. It's on my blog under recommended reads. I think it's a must read for bloggers, especially those who like to use their blog to bitch about people.

Anyhow, I feel that everything has pros and cons, and for all the cons that the WWW has, I think the pros far outweighs the cons, if one knows what one is doing that is. We just have to learn to live with the times.

By the way what I mean by chaos is something that disrupts normal routine, like the overzealous fan Yvonne had.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home