Sunday, April 29, 2007

Hello Mrs Low!

15-04-2007

The day I become Mrs Low.

For the past two weeks after my ROM, I have been busy sorting out photographs, uploading images, and looking through the photographs a few times a day without getting tired of them.

I think that’s what happens to newly weds, especially brides. =P

Some of our friends who saw the photographs that day commented that my gown looks really lovely (I hope they meant I look lovely too! =P). There is this really funny story behind my ROM gown that I have to share with you. I still can’t help laughing whenever I think of it now.

The gown was provided by the bridal studio as part of the bridal package. As I am rather petite, it is not easy to find a gown that suits my size. When Xiangrong and I went to the bridal studio for our first ROM gown fitting, we picked it immediately.

This gown comes with a green ribbon in front. Most of the gowns I have seen so far do not have green ribbons, ribbons are usually in shades of pink or rosy colours.

I like the gown, because the cutting fits me almost perfectly, but there is just something about the green ribbon that makes me uncertain.

Nevertheless, we settled on the gown, and took some candid photographs at the bridal studio. However, when we showed our family and friends photographs of the gown later, most of them shared my sentiment that the green ribbon looks “funny”.

Our first ROM gown fitting

With such a thought tugging at the back of my mind, Xiangrong and I made a second trip back to the bridal studio, hoping to try on other gowns. We went through almost the entire ROM collection (there wasn’t too many choices, as the studio is a relatively new one), but still could not find a better one. Initially the gown designer told me it was not possible to change the ribbon (I think because it was sewn from the inside of the gown), but when she saw that I look kind of disappointed, she agreed to help me change the ribbon. That seemed to have solved all problems!

Just then, a lady who accompanied her sister and the groom to the studio for their actual wedding day gown fitting, told me, “We really couldn’t help it, but when we saw that you wanted to change the ribbon colour, we were quite disappointed. We thought the green colour makes the gown special and outstanding! If it had been some normal pink colour, it would have looked so normal.”

The bride-to-be added. “I wanted to pick this gown for my ROM because of the green ribbon, but I couldn’t fit it. It was so sad!”

Xiangrong and I had a good laugh then, imagine, strangers who watched us (or me rather) comically trying on so many different gowns and then couldn’t hold it anymore, and told us that they felt the green ribbon actually looks stunning! And as you guessed, we decided to stick with the green ribbon. And the rest is history.


While planning for our ROM, we decided to come up with our own invitation card design. I like the cute feel, and Xiangrong came up with this brilliant idea of a comic, while I sketched it out. We also named our ROM "Mr Nice Guy and Miss Cute Gal's Big Event of the Year". Xiangrong has always been known as "Mr Nice Guy" to his friends, while I am the self-proclaimed Miss Cute Gal! Haha! That was so fun and we even printed the comic on t-shirts! Here's a glimpse of it!


I never thought I would not be able to sleep on the night before ROM, but I did! I don’t know if it I was too nervous or was it because I slept too early, but anyway, I tossed and turned and soon, it was time to wake up!

It is difficult to describe the feeling I had on that day, elation would be an understatement. All I know is I just couldn’t stop laughing and smiling the whole day!

The makeup artist arrived at my home at 9.15am. By that time, I was already all dressed up in my gown. Makeup really does wonders, as I have learnt once again. However, Xiangrong and I initially had the concept of a “sweet” bride to suit my image, but the makeup and hairdo did not exactly turn out the way we had envisioned. It kind of made me look more mature and grown-up then I usually appear (oppz!), but I would say I liked it nevertheless, except that the cute tiara’s role seemed to be downplayed, or did anyone notice the tiara at all?

I bought a 4-inch high heel for ROM (I wanted 5-inch to match Xiangrong’s height, but I could not find any of a reasonable price), and luckily for me, it was quite comfortable and I did not fall down!

With our families and friends

Snapshots of the day:

*When we arrived at ROM, I saw the photographer whom we engaged for ROM as well as our wedding say, snapping away about 200 metre away. He looked just like paparazzi! And us, just like celebrities!

*Just before our turn to ROM, Xiangrong and I walked up the steps to “Love that Binds”, when somebody said, “Be careful, don’t fall!” Just then, I let out a ear-piercing scream! No, no, I did not fall down, but I stepped on my gown right after this comment was made! I couldn’t stop laughing after that!
*I felt quite nervous during the solemnization ceremony, and I kept looking into Xiangrong’s eyes and squeezing his hands tightly for support. He did the same, I bet he was jumpy too! I can’t exactly remember what we said, I think I was so tense that I just repeated whatever the solemnizer said! And the funny thing is, we were not made to say “I do” throughout the whole session. Did the solemnizer forget or does this statement only appear in the movies?
*After the solemnization, we proceeded to Fort Canning Park for some outdoor shots. This was when we took some really funny photos. Many people who saw those photos later commented they were really hilarious! I think it started off with Weidong who went to pull Xiangrong as though he was “snatching” him away from me, then the other guys joined in! And the funny photographs naturally emerged.

*Then it was the girls' turn. Initially they were a bit shy, and the shots did not turn out well. The photographer was thinking of giving up when one of the girls said firmly, “Let’s try it again!” And they all sportingly geared up for round 2 of the shots which turned out really well! I felt really touched when I saw that! A beaming couple with supportive friends, what more could I ask for?

*After we finished the shots and were on our way back to ROM, somebody asked why I did not throw my hand bouquet. So there and then I decided to do just that. I even practised throwing the ring pillow twice to make sure I could throw it such that the girls could catch it. Guess who caught the hand bouquet?

I felt really glad that our families and good friends were able to join us on this joyous occasion. Among our good friends, we were the first to be ROMed, so it was quite an excited affair for all. For some, it was the first time attending an ROM. It’s like everyone is not very sure what the standard procedure is (but then again, there’s really no so-called standard procedure, every wedding has its own hiccups), and everyone is equally curious and keyed up.

Now that I am officially married, I feel quite different, but I cannot exact say what kind of feeling that is. I think it is a mixture of excitement (for the traditional wedding dinner in November, for the renovation of the house, for the rest of the wedding plans) and happiness. And yes, I need to get used to being called Mrs Low! =P

4 Comments:

At 12:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

the gown is beautiful :)
the details on top is nicely done...

congratz

 
At 9:21 AM , Blogger 飞行者 said...

hee, the pictures are very cute, n the t-shirt too. And the other bride-to-be is right, the apple green ribbon n the design of the dress is nice n unique. altho u mentioned u didn't have much choice :) but it is what would stand out even though there are lotsa other gowns.

 
At 1:53 PM , Blogger Nia said...

Your gown is really pretty.. Actually green is in. My sis designed her gown to have a green sash!!
Congrats!

 
At 1:15 PM , Blogger Adelin said...

I happened to chance upon your blog and I must say that ur gown looks simple and nice for the ROM ! I am also looking for my ROM gown later this week and after reading your blog, I gained some valuable lessons. Thanks a lot Mrs Low! I wish you and your husband all the best!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home